Author Topic: Big Bend in Texas  (Read 2303 times)

OutdoorX4

• View Profile
    • OutdoorX4 - Promoting Responsible 4x4 Adventure Travel & Outdoor Recreation
Big Bend in Texas
« on: August 12, 2013, 06:54:02 PM »
Scott,

I noticed you posted a nice photo gallery from a journey to Big Bend.  Big Bend is one of my favorite places here in Texas and the charter issue of OutdoorX4 will feature a cover story about 4x4 travel and backpacking along the south rim of Big Bend. 

Just wanted to drop a note that your photos are great!  Also, unrelated, were you at Overland Expo this year or in the last two years?  You (and/or Nigel) look very familiar from those photos.

Congrats on a nice trip out there.  Big Bend is an incredible, often overlooked, destination to travel.

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Big Bend in Texas
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 09:09:45 AM »
Scott hasn't been to the OX in the last two years. Nigel and myself attended this past May.

Scott has some great photos and info of big bend. He is currently trekking through Utah, but should check in sometime.

OutdoorX4

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 09:15:15 AM »
Ahh, good deal.  I'm sure we've met in passing at OEX at some point. 

Did y'all also visit Big Bend Ranch State Park while y'all were out there?  I've never been to the state park but I hear it has a tremendous amount of backcountry roads only accessible by 4-wheel drive.

ScottBrownAdventurer

• View Profile
    • Lifestyles In Light- Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 09:28:29 AM »
I'm only just finding this thread.

Frank, the state park is amazing. Not as many big mountain views but as you mentioned there is more to do off pavement.
Overland Guide and Photographer
1995 Mitsubishi Montero
1988 Toyota Landcruiser FJ62
1995 Honda XR650L

OutdoorX4

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 10:40:31 AM »
I had previously downloaded the off-highway trail guide from the Texas State Parks website which is a pretty good size PDF with a ton of info about the park, etc.  I'll keep looking through everything but if you or anyone has suggestions off-hand of "must-see" portions of the state park, I'd be happy to check them out when I'm there in a few weeks.  The wife and kid are excited to see this part of the state as they've never been before.  Should be fun!  :)

topgun15v

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 08:04:35 PM »
Frank you also may be able to get a hard copy instead of the PDF that they can mail you for free.  You probably know about this already, but I think this is much easier to read and navigate vs online pdfs.  Hope you have fun.
Current:2014 Taco 4x4 TRD Off-Road
Past: 2008 FJC 4x4 TRD Off-Road

OutdoorX4

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 09:45:15 AM »
Cool!  I didn't realize a hard copy may be available.  I'll look into it.  I did print out the PDF and went old-school with a three-hole punch and a binder to keep it organized and viewable when not on a mobile device.  But I'll definitely check out the hard copy and appreciate the input.  Cheers!

Nigel Caffiene

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 12:44:17 PM »
Hello,

I as well have just encountered this thread. I have been to the Overland Expo in '11, '12,'13, and planning on going in '14. I usually drive a khaki kitted-out Jeep TJ and hung out at TAD's or Equipt's booth. We may have encountered one another. Your Jeep is definitely familar!
Scott,

I noticed you posted a nice photo gallery from a journey to Big Bend.  Big Bend is one of my favorite places here in Texas and the charter issue of OutdoorX4 will feature a cover story about 4x4 travel and backpacking along the south rim of Big Bend. 

Just wanted to drop a note that your photos are great!  Also, unrelated, were you at Overland Expo this year or in the last two years?  You (and/or Nigel) look very familiar from those photos.

Congrats on a nice trip out there.  Big Bend is an incredible, often overlooked, destination to travel.

Nigel Caffiene

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 12:46:10 PM »
I had previously downloaded the off-highway trail guide from the Texas State Parks website which is a pretty good size PDF with a ton of info about the park.

I make that little PDF required reading for newcomers to the area. Great little book. Love the sense of humour in it.

OutdoorX4

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 12:59:53 PM »
Ahh, I'm sure we've probably met at some point then.  I know Paul from Equipt pretty well from my days as the editor of another magazine.  He's certainly a good guy.

Will you be at Expo in '14?  We'll have a booth out there and prominent placement as a sponsor of the event.  If so, we'll certainly have to visit more then.  Cheers!

Nigel Caffiene

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 01:10:48 PM »
Yes sir, I will be there. I will definitely stop by. I do recall reading from the Hanson's newsletter that yall have become a sponsor. Congratulations!

OutdoorX4

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 01:15:19 PM »
Right on!  Nice of Jonathan to include us in his newsletter.  He's been a great addition to our editorial staff and I'm very excited to have him on-board.

Looking forward to OEX and beyond.  :)

Nigel Caffiene

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 01:23:08 PM »
Seriously, you have some heavy-weights contributing (Mr. Hansons & Mr. Burke). Looking forward to getting the first issue.

spallet

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 03:26:32 PM »
Hey!

I might join the group,,,

anything