Author Topic: Newbie issues with kml files in "Previous Routes"  (Read 524 times)

rcross

• View Profile
Newbie issues with kml files in "Previous Routes"
« on: February 08, 2017, 12:36:57 PM »
Hey, y'all.  Have quietly viewed this forum for a while...patiently waiting for an opportunity to make a trip up.  Finally planning a trip in early May to do a little offroading and hiking.  Started out looking at the HWM trail.  After a little 4 wheeled exploration, heading to Ponca to hike the Buffalo for a few days.  So, wanted to look at some of the other overland trail options up there.  Found the link to the 10 routes in the Previous Routes thread, downloaded the zip and unpacked the kml files on my PC.  However, none of them are opening up in Google maps.  The current HWM kml file is working fine, though.  So, I'm not sure if it's an issue with the files or the user.  Appreciate any help from those that may have downloaded the files recently or have any other ideas.

Thanks....  randy

Zheking

• View Profile
Re: Newbie issues with kml files in "Previous Routes"
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 04:20:06 PM »
I can't get any of them to work either.
2012 Xterra

codertimt

• Person who does computery stuff.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 01:18:04 PM »
Overall, I'm not sure what it is about these files that maps and caltopo don't like, however you can still open in Google Earth.  So I would open in Google Earth and export to whatever format is best for you...

Whtshos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 04:16:59 PM »
What codertimt said.
I have used all of those files.  cleaned them up in Google Earth and loaded into the map.me app and haven't looked back.  Good stuff!!!
Being a kid again is fun!!

Opossum

• View Profile

Opossum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 08:38:11 PM »
Never mind! Somehow I figured it out