Author Topic: Patches  (Read 2098 times)

foo.c

• View Profile
Patches
« on: May 31, 2016, 09:51:34 PM »
I haven't been around here in a while. Lots of life changes, too many to list, but to distill it down to a small list:

Sold my Jeep
Bought a house
Bought an old Jeep

I shouldn't have bought it but I guess I watched too many youtube videos. Roadkill, Dirt Every Day, etc. where they get it running. I did get the thing running, but the transmission was full of water and locked up.

I decided to just do an engine swap and instead of putting money into a 4-speed 4-banger.

The more I tore into it, the more shit I found wrong with it.

I suck at welding. I did have metal shop in high school, but I think that was the same year this Jeep was made. Should be good enough.

Took it down pretty far.

Rattle-canned the frame

Fuel system partly done

Now the fun starts

Need to make new trans line

Square peg, round hole stuff

It's getting to that point where everything is just tedious. I probably won't get much done once the temps are unbearable. My goal is to be breaking axles and stuff this fall.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 10:00:18 PM by foo.c »

MinuteMan

• I'm your huckleberry.
    • View Profile
Re: Patches
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 10:01:56 PM »
Well you at least know how to get your hands dirty haha.  Nice jeep keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

foo.c

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 11:02:13 AM »
I started to rebuild my Dana 300 over the weekend, but the rear output housing would not come off of the shaft, and I ended up breaking it with my bearing puller. (Lesson learned, picked up a press off craigslist the next day.)

At first I thought this would just be a good excuse to do the shaft upgrade (includes a new housing), but that $500 price really bothered me. By the time you add the new input shaft, output shaft, rebuild kit, and twin stick kit together you are over $1200 and still have kinda puny low-range. Adding 4:1 gears is another $700, and you end up with a mess of parts from 3 different companies.

The smart thing to do would probably be to just find another Dana 300 on eBay or something and use that or scavenge it for the parts I need, but I ended up ordering an Atlas transfer case. They gave me a refund on the stuff I already bought which helped lessen the sting a little bit. Damned thing cost more than the Jeep did. Oh well.

foo.c

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 05:26:58 AM »
Not much work done since last time I posted. My kid made his baseball league's All-Star team and that took  almost all of my free time in June. Plus it's hot. The work I have done has been before noon or after 8 PM because the rest of the day is pretty miserable. (The heat index was 110F the other day.)

Got my fuel system mostly done. Still need to secure all the hoses and lines, but it's in place. I ended up modifying the kit I bought from Novak Adapters and re-using the OEM hardline. It's only 5/16" line, but it should just barely suffice for now.

Mocked up the transfer case. Tried to clock it as flat as possible, but the front driveshaft was hitting the bell housing if I clocked it any higher.

Took it all apart and installed the adapter for real. Installed the VSS and reluctor according to the directions. Hope it works because it will be a pain to get to later.

Sitting in my garage awaiting the next time I work on it.

Some stuff to do soon(ish):

I need to figure out my crossmember and skid plate situation. The factory skid/crossmember may or may not to fit under the transfer case mount, but it definitely is too short to protect the transfer case from anything. I am hoping I can use the factory skid for a while until I can get something that will protect both the trans and the transfer case.

The lift shackles need to go. The rear driveshaft angle is not looking good. I will be running a 1" body lift so I can put stock shackles back on and only lose 1/2" of lift overall. It should help the angle a bit.

foo.c

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 11:03:49 AM »
I can't believe how long it took to finally get the transfer case mounted up, but fabrication isn't really my thing. I did manage to get it clocked flat though. I might have to cut up the floor pan a little to accommodate that, but no big deal at this point.

I took Advance Adapters power glide mount and cut the base off of it and welded it onto TMR's universal crossmember kit. I like this set up because I can run whatever skid plate I want and not have to mess with mounting anything to the skid plate. Also I can drop the skid for maintenance nice and easy.

The skid is way too small to protect everything so that will need to be addressed before seeing any rocky trails. Also check out all the ground clearance it is costing me. I'm at least going to cut out that dropped section.

I should be able to knock a few things out now that this is done.

foo.c

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 10:08:06 AM »
I have made 0 progress since my last update, but some things have changed.

The original 5.3 I bought is bad. The place I bought it from screwed me over the exchange, and I ended up buying a 6.0.

My plan for the 6.0 was to inspect it as best I could and replace all the seals and gaskets. I ended up putting a new oil pump and timing chain on it too.

I wasn't planning on going farther than that but as I was putting the engine into the Jeep I noticed a head bolt sticking out. These are torque to yield bolts and have to be tightened in proper sequence, so I don't see a way around having to pull all the bolts on that side. I might as well do both sides, and do head gaskets while I am it.

So gotta do that. So far things have looked ok with this engine, hopefully nothing bad will be revealed when the heads are taken off. I am anxious about it. If I ever do this again, I will start with a crate engine.

foo.c

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 12:14:54 PM »
Here is that stupid bolt. I think some junkyard worker used it for a convenient place to attach a chain, but who knows? I probably could have just put in a new bolt, or replaced all the bolts one by one or something, but that would have been too easy.

Some pics from the head gasket R&R.

And finally, she runs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnSveItDdPU

Sort of. Doesn't want to idle. I only started it a few times because I have no oil pressure gauge hooked up and no coolant in it. I plan on doing something about that and letting it run for a few minutes before finally moving on to putting the body back on.

foo.c

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 09:27:32 AM »
Diagnosed low fuel pressure. Novak sent me a new fuel pump, but I ended up installing a DeatschWerks high performance pump. I cross-referenced the part numbers on the Novak pumps and they built it with the wrong pump. It would have worked with the new pump, but that pump didn't have any room to grow if you know what I mean.

I've replaced everything except for the sender and Corvette fuel filter/regulator from the Novak Adapter's kit. What a waste of time and money. I'm glad I still have the body/tub off because it made swapping the pump easy. I would be really angry if I would have had to drop the tank.

Runs good now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZI06yXz9a8&feature=youtu.be

foo.c

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 09:56:56 AM »
Here's another example of wasted time and money ... I redid my transmission mount. I was concerned and then Novak confirmed that the mount as I had it would be too rigid and prone to breaking the transmission case, adapters, etc. So I had to cut it off and jerry rig something else using a poly bushing.

Transfer case put back in.

Made some transmission lines and installed a B&M oil cooler. I used AN fittings because the last time I used a cooler like this with the hose barbs I was fighting leaks constantly. I think this cooler is too big, but I am going to wait and see before doing anything about it.

Novak radiator installed.

foo.c

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 05:07:54 PM »
Feels like I'm getting closer even though whenever I sit down and start thinking of things to do I sure come up with a bunch.

I put coolant in it and 2 gallons of ATF in the trans and it ran for a good while. I put it in gear and it spun the transfer case yokes. (I don't have driveshafts yet.) It didn't shift but it was so freaking loud when I tried to give it gas that I didn't try very hard to get things up to a high enough speed to shift. Once it warmed the hot idle was a little jumpy, but I think it's ok. Might need some cleaning of the throttle body or something.

So I did a few little things, got bored and decided to set the tub on there. The body and the transfer case are trying to occupy the same space. The tubs needs to come down about 2" to rest on the bushings. I think I'm going to cut the support brace there. That might be just enough.

Firewall clearance looks good, I could move the motor back if I needed to.

foo.c

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 01:19:23 PM »
Tub is back on!

That was a pain in the butt. The floor modification for the Atlas was pretty major and yet done in a half-assed fashion. (I gave up on doing a real restoration a while ago, we're going for mechanically sound, cosmetically whatever.)

Basically I have 3 groups of things left to do: electrical, steering, and brakes. And miscellaneous. Ok 4 things to do. And probably a lot of debugging stuff once it can go, stop, and steer.

That will just be the end of stage one. Axles and a cage are inevitable.

foo.c

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 05:11:29 PM »
My front springs have gone from the sagging in the picture above to pancake flat. I didn't think the net effect of adding the V8 while subtracting the bumpers and bars was that large, but evidently it was.

I have some OME springs for a YJ on the way. I was hoping to put off addressing the suspension for a while because ultimately I think I want to change it all up, but the current situation is holding me back so I need to get it taken care of.

Wish I had a crystal ball because it would have been a lot easier to do the suspension a couple months ago. Oh well.

foo.c

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 01:19:17 PM »
Hit a slow spot due to some family stuff.

OME springs installed. I think it's going to ride really nice for what it is. I don't know what springs where on there but they had no give at all. I'm a pretty big boy and I could barely budge it before, now I can get some movement.

I gained about 2" in the back and 5" in the front. It sits almost level now. With the body lift I think 35" tires are going to fit easily. I think that's about the limit for the stock axles.

Did some hacking on my pedals. It was cheaper than finding the correct pedal from a automatic. I also mocked up the brake booster and master cylinder. I'm glad there is room.

Even though this part only took about an hour, it felt very rewarding. It's starting to look like a Jeep again, and every part I can install frees up a corresponding amount of space in my garage, so I like it. (That kid is about 5'4" so you can get an idea how tall it is.)

arveetek

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 09:08:45 PM »
I've been enjoying reading about your progress.  Keep up the good work!

Casey
1995 Chevy Tahoe 2 door, 6.5L turbo diesel, 4L80E auto, NV241, 3.42's, Eaton ADL in rear, 285/75R16 BFG TA K02's on Toyota steelies, Roadmaster Active Suspension in rear, 1" crank in front, Westin brush guard

foo.c

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 04:25:00 PM »
Thanks.

It's been an ordeal and I'm sure I'll end up breaking something within a few weeks of it being on the road. Haha.

It's been mostly fun and I've learned a ton.

anything