Author Topic: High water mark (need help)  (Read 1702 times)

Opossum

• View Profile
High water mark (need help)
« on: May 27, 2016, 12:29:13 PM »
Ok so I'm new here and not a fan of asking for help , but I have look and look but just made myself more confused !! The wife, I and some friends (3 rigs total) are planning on coming up from south Louisiana to run HWM in late June . Now to my problem . I have found a few "maps" of the trail but I would be lots more comfortable with some type of GPS guidance . I have an iPhone6 , iPad , and a android tablet but I can't make heads or tails of what yo down load so I can have something that will guide me through the trail . Any and all help will be greatly  appreciated !

tchughes

• View Profile
Re: High water mark (need help)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 08:20:47 PM »
Welcome Opossum. I've run the HWM once and really enjoyed it you should have a great trip. I have an iPad mini I use for navigation with MotionX GPS. MotionX allows you to import gpx files with your route and waypoints. Obviously the app won't give turn by turn navigation but it will display the route you imported and you can follow along.

Also, before leaving you will need to download the general area in the Ozarks you will be traveling for off-line viewing. If you have a data package on your tablet it will download the info needed as you travel but service is limited in the Ozarks.

If you have any questions let me know, I'm happy to help.

This is what I use to convert file formats when needed:
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input

Update: I intended to add this also. It's an over view view planning a route but if you skip ahead to 13:40 he explains importing files to MotionX.
https://youtu.be/cGkFGfdp27g?list=LLNCw9PnJuLsF2xSUo4YnkaA
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 08:29:46 PM by tchughes »

Opossum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 07:43:47 PM »
Awesome!!! I'll let you know as soon as I get it downloaded

Opossum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 11:10:52 PM »
Ok so I have the motion X app and I went to the page to try and covert the google earth into gpx .. Epic fail lol  :'(.  Could you possibly email me the track you used ?

Opossum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 12:53:33 AM »
Just want to thank tchughes for helping me out with the gps issue ! I owe you a big one buddy , hope to catch up on the trail one day . Thanks again !

tchughes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 08:05:25 AM »
No problem Opossum, enjoy the trip. Hope to see you out there.

Opossum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 05:43:30 PM »
Trip was a  success  !!!!! Can than you enough for the help with the  directions . !!

Opossum

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 09:15:48 PM »
So, does anyone happen to know what the water looks like around January ?

philip_sweet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 12:24:31 AM »
I'm having the same problem. Trying to download the HWM route on my iPhone 5c with no luck. Need some help please. I downloaded dropbox, google earth for iPhone, kml-kmz-gpx pro comversion app and am not having any luck at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

philip_sweet

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 12:26:00 AM »
I even downloaded an app called Maplets that we used in TN at Ride Royal Blue and Brimstone in our side x sides. It worked great and I found some Ozark Natl Forest maps on there, but doubt its the same map as on here that was shared

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk