Author Topic: what motorcycle for "exploring" and overnight?  (Read 487 times)

gobeer net

• View Profile
what motorcycle for "exploring" and overnight?
« on: April 25, 2016, 10:17:07 PM »
I'm based in Fort Smith.  My goal is to scout good camping spots on the bike, then go back in the jeep with the fiance and dog for camping.  I did this on my WR for the northern shore of Ouachita with good results.  As there are some good curves in the NW quadrant of the state, I'd rather have a bike that can carry overnight gear and carry moderate pace on the pavement.  My jeep is slow and cumbersome.  My WR450 can cover some technical dirt, but isn't so comfy for the distance and storage is non-existance. 

I'm considering a Wee-strom.  Can anyone comment on what it can handle offroad or on?  I ride a quick pace on the pavement, although can tame it down a bit.  I hate for it to be straight boring though, so I'm frowning on the KLR. 

Anyone ride both?  Anyone see either of these bikes out on the trails?
'04 Rubi, 35's, lockers,  winch, home grown cage, sliders, corners, suspension and bumpers.

ludeykrus

• View Profile
Re: what motorcycle for "exploring" and overnight?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 10:20:40 PM »
Had a buddy with a dl650, and he loved it for highway and exploring offroad. It's not a dirt bike, but it can handle forest roads fine. Much better suited for the highway than the klr. A good in between the klr and weestrom is the dr650, which skews closer to the dirt than the slab.

gobeer net

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 05:47:22 PM »
I was looking for a DL650 and ended up with a DL1000. 

Put a few hundred miles 2 up in the Ozarks last Sunday.  It did well.  Did a few dirt roads, although not confidence inspiring while on dirt/gravel.  Its a pig and will stay pavement based.  Great for 2 up on back roads. 

'04 Rubi, 35's, lockers,  winch, home grown cage, sliders, corners, suspension and bumpers.

ludeykrus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 06:44:47 PM »
What year dl1k? I've heard they can feel a bit top-heavy at times when off the pavement, but are sweet all around. I actually have been wanting to sell my Warrior for a while now to pick one up, but just can't bring myself to do it  :D  I've ridden smaller bikes two-up, and just really prefer that liter-plus torque when rolling on the throttle with a load, so the 650 just wouldn't do.

gobeer net

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 08:10:52 PM »
What year dl1k? I've heard they can feel a bit top-heavy at times when off the pavement, but are sweet all around. I actually have been wanting to sell my Warrior for a while now to pick one up, but just can't bring myself to do it  :D  I've ridden smaller bikes two-up, and just really prefer that liter-plus torque when rolling on the throttle with a load, so the 650 just wouldn't do.

Its a 2005.  It does well and is easy to ride.  Seating position and power is comfy two up.  If I keep it long, it will get a new seat.  It has a GEL seal that doesn't agree with my bum.  I can't decide if I want to put crash bars and dual sport tires on it or just enjoy the lazy road manners. 

anything