Author Topic: From Dallas, Thru K-Trail, Thru HWM & Back?  (Read 1303 times)

Texas Lexus

• View Profile
From Dallas, Thru K-Trail, Thru HWM & Back?
« on: March 11, 2016, 12:46:29 AM »
Is it possible to do this trip in 5 6 days if driving on the highway for the drive back? There will be 3 rigs & 6 guys wanting to do this next month. Thanks!

***ETA days from 5 to 6.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 09:37:52 AM by Texas Lexus »
1997 Texas Lexus LX450 w/some mods

forunnin

• View Profile
Re: From Dallas, Thru K-Trail, Thru HWM & Back?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 07:57:41 AM »
Is it possible to do this trip in 5 days if driving on the highway for the drive back? There will be 3 rigs & 6 guys wanting to do this next month. Thanks!

I'm going to say no. I've ran both trails and K-Trail is a 2 day trail and the HWM is a 3 day trail. That leaves no time to commute to, between, and from the trails to Texas!  You could MAKE it happen, because K-Trail can be done in a day (I've done it and it SUCKED, took 9 hours moving as quickly as possible) and HWM MIGHT be able to be done in 2 day, but you would greatly sacrifice the fun of the trip as it would just become a mission instead of a normal trail run.

Texas Lexus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 09:36:26 AM »
Just realized it will actually be 6 days including travel time!!! I was thinking 5, sorry. Looks like we might give it a go. Should be an awesome trip. Thanks.

Texas Lexus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 01:34:32 PM »
Going west to east, how far is it from the end of K Trail (east end) to the beginning of HWM/Ozark Trail? After leaving K Trail, should we travel east or west on HWM? Thanks!

Texas Lexus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 12:54:22 AM »
Needing some help here guys. I'm not too GPS savvy so I'm having a heck of a time planning out this trip. What's my best (ie. plain-Jane simple to read) map option to plan this out with? I don't have an Android device so Back Country Navigator is out. I have an iPhone or an iPad that I can use to download some maps to. What is my options to make this happen? Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 11:00:45 AM by Texas Lexus »

Trailfrog

• View Profile
    • Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 10:38:00 AM »
Get the Gaia app for your phone and load the Ozark national forest map included in the app
2008 Jeep JK Unlimited, 3.25" Rough Country lift,  Rocky Road Supersliders, 35" Toyo OC MT's on Black Rock Viper wheels, Rubicon Dana 44 axles with factory e-lockers, 5.13 gears, AEV Tire Carrier, Rugged Ridge Snorkel, Smittybilt front bumper with 10,000lb winch, AEV fuel carrier,and Edgestar fridge

Trailfrog

• View Profile
    • Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 10:39:01 AM »
If you want a paper map look for the Arkansas Gazetteer
2008 Jeep JK Unlimited, 3.25" Rough Country lift,  Rocky Road Supersliders, 35" Toyo OC MT's on Black Rock Viper wheels, Rubicon Dana 44 axles with factory e-lockers, 5.13 gears, AEV Tire Carrier, Rugged Ridge Snorkel, Smittybilt front bumper with 10,000lb winch, AEV fuel carrier,and Edgestar fridge

forunnin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 02:24:05 PM »
Going west to east, how far is it from the end of K Trail (east end) to the beginning of HWM/Ozark Trail? After leaving K Trail, should we travel east or west on HWM? Thanks!

K-Trail and HWM are in COMPLETELY different National Forests and are about 3 hours apart by highway. K-Trail runs from Clayton, OK to Mena, Ar and HWM runs from Jerusalem, AR to St. Joe, AR.

Whtshos

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 08:16:17 PM »
If you are Google Earth Pro savvy at all, draw your route out on it, then upload the KMZ file onto your phone and view it with the maps.me APP

If your pad is a 3G (with GPS chip) upload it to your pad for a larger view.
Or......check out the national forest MVUM maps. They are available at your local ranger stations and FREE.  They can also be downloaded in PDF format from their site.
As mentioned, K-Trail and HWM are a good distance from each other.  Although, they can be made into one trip with the amount of time you have.  My recommendation is to start at your farthest point from home and work your way back. His will allow you to bail out at any time and be closeer to home if time runs out. 
Be safe and have fun, it's beautiful!!!
Being a kid again is fun!!

Texas Lexus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2016, 01:03:58 PM »

K-Trail and HWM are in COMPLETELY different National Forests and are about 3 hours apart by highway. K-Trail runs from Clayton, OK to Mena, Ar and HWM runs from Jerusalem, AR to St. Joe, AR.
I'm well aware they are not one in the same & are distant from one another. Isn't that the point in overlanding? :P

Texas Lexus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2016, 01:04:59 PM »
If you are Google Earth Pro savvy at all, draw your route out on it, then upload the KMZ file onto your phone and view it with the maps.me APP

If your pad is a 3G (with GPS chip) upload it to your pad for a larger view.
Or......check out the national forest MVUM maps. They are available at your local ranger stations and FREE.  They can also be downloaded in PDF format from their site.
As mentioned, K-Trail and HWM are a good distance from each other.  Although, they can be made into one trip with the amount of time you have.  My recommendation is to start at your farthest point from home and work your way back. His will allow you to bail out at any time and be closeer to home if time runs out. 
Be safe and have fun, it's beautiful!!!
I ended up downloading a pdf app of National Forests. It helped immensely!

forunnin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 11:55:50 AM »

I'm well aware they are not one in the same & are distant from one another. Isn't that the point in overlanding? :P

Ok! I was just making sure! Your post made it sound like you thought they were almost touching each other! haha! 

anything