Author Topic: 2003 4Runner Limited V8  (Read 2628 times)

RichK

• Happy trails
    • View Profile
Re: 2003 4Runner Limited V8
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2016, 06:28:19 AM »
I still couldn't get the bottom two to open.  But I did watch the first video.  Nice.  I love the woods.
Happy trails,
Rich Kimball

tchughes

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2016, 12:03:22 PM »
I got to spend the weekend with the wife in the Ozarks for our 24th anniversary. We followed a route we previously took about 8 years ago with the no longer existent Central Overland. It was great weather, comfortable during the day and cool at night for great sleep.

We drove up to Marshall Saturday afternoon and entered the forest in Snowball. Headed to Jasper where we stayed overnight. After eating breakfast at Ozark Cafe in Jasper we drove through Steel Creek Rec area and on to Ponca. After visiting the Ozark Outdoor store we headed to the Redding camp area for the night. Monday morning we cooked breakfast and hit more trails in the Ozarks before eating a late lunch at the Oark Cafe and heading home.

RichK

• Happy trails
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2016, 01:02:18 PM »
Awesome.  Best time of year for weather....and on your Anniversary....that's great!
 :)
Happy trails,
Rich Kimball

tchughes

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2016, 07:41:50 PM »
@RichK, I agree on the weather, it was perfect. We really enjoyed this since most our time is eat up with two teenagers.

tchughes

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2016, 08:00:16 PM »
After reading the horror stories others have shared about water getting in the transmission through the breather it had me concerned. I started my homework on this but found info was very limited and not interchangeable from the V8 and V6. I spent the last couple weeks off/on following hoses to confirm my setup. Today I pulled the skids to confirm the front diff breather.

I found the single breather in the engine bay on a V8 is for the front diff. I didn't get a picture of it but it's on the driver side fender well clipped to a harness.

After tracing hoses I found the 4Hi/4Lo selector, transfer case and transmission are tied together and ran about halfway up the firewall. The 4HI/4LO selector has a hose that runs to a connector on top/driver side of the transfer case. On the pass. side of the trans/transfer is a hose with a splitter allowing the two to be connected which then crosses over to the drivers side and runs up the firewall.

The end of the hose on my selector was in pretty bad shape so I pulled the entire hose and replaced. I reused the extra protection on the tubing and rerouted exactly as stock.

This is the fitting on the drivers side of the transfer case. The end of this hose ties back to the 4WD selector.

The transfer case is "T" to the transmission and then run up the firewall. I found that my hose was in good shape so I purchased some 5/32" vac hose with a vacuum tubing connector (Dorman #47307". Once connected I ran it up the firewall and zip tied to a brake like until I can get something a little more finished looking, but it's functional now.

Quick video of the transmission breather

Here are a few miscellaneous photos.
T connection for transfer case and transmission

New location of breather.

Tied the two together and used a zip tie. I didn't see a need for hose clamps at this time.

Just an easy tug got the breather exposed and allowed access to lengthen it. I just pulled the actual breather and added the adapter to connect the hoses then reused the breather under the hood.

sammyt08fj

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2016, 08:28:11 AM »
I got to spend the weekend with the wife in the Ozarks for our 24th anniversary. We followed a route we previously took about 8 years ago with the no longer existent Central Overland. It was great weather, comfortable during the day and cool at night for great sleep.

We drove up to Marshall Saturday afternoon and entered the forest in Snowball. Headed to Jasper where we stayed overnight. After eating breakfast at Ozark Cafe in Jasper we drove through Steel Creek Rec area and on to Ponca. After visiting the Ozark Outdoor store we headed to the Redding camp area for the night. Monday morning we cooked breakfast and hit more trails in the Ozarks before eating a late lunch at the Oark Cafe and heading home.

Do you have a gpx of the route you took?
1996 LX450 35's/Tripple Locked/Sliders/Custom Belly Skid/MetalTech Front Bumper/3.5 Inch Lift/1 Inch Body Lift/

forunnin

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2016, 10:42:23 AM »
Thanks for the transmission breather write-up! That's still on my to-do list and needs to be done very soon.