Author Topic: 2003 4Runner Limited V8  (Read 2888 times)

tchughes

• View Profile
2003 4Runner Limited V8
« on: October 08, 2015, 10:52:44 PM »
I've mostly been lurking with little contribution and noticed the forums seem quiet lately. I felt it was time for me to contribute a little more so I'm going to add some info about the 4Runner.

I started with a '02 3rd gen 4R http://overlandguild.org/index.php?topic=19.0 which was passed down to my daughter when she turned 16. At this point I bought an '04 SR5 V6 and drove it for a couple years which was recently handed down to my son when he turned 16. That brings me to the '03 Limited I'm currently driving.

'02 Limited

'04 SR5
[/URL]

When I bought her.

As she sits today.

After bringing her home the normal maintenance began, all fluids were changed less power steering, spark plugs changed, MAF cleaned along with the throttle body.

When going over the 4R I discovered the driver CV boot was torn and would need to be replaced. I picked up an AutoZone CV so I could get her back on the road. I kept the old CV and plan on rebuilding so I will have a spare.

A suspension lift wasn't in the cards at this time but I did need to pick up tires. I ordered the Daystar 2.5/1/5 spacer lift which allowed me to pick up the tires I wanted. I don't have plans on replacing the stock wheels so a set of spidertrax wheel spacers were ordered also.

My son had a cracked taillight so I ordered a set of black taillights for my 4R and moved my old lights to his ride. New light is on the left.

While researching DIY roof racks I stumbled on a unistrut/wood rack and decided to make my own version.
Pic of inspiration

I used two pieces of angle on each side attached to the stock roof rack with a nylon bushing between them to reduce squeaks. I decided to use the shorter unistrut for the cross members but now wish I had used the taller style. The unistrut allows for unlimited mounting options for shovels, scepter/jerry cans and storage. As I have time I plan to make a few more mods to the rack but want to work out the bugs so I can knock them all out at once (yes, raising the rack is one of the mods). I have also added an aluminum wind deflector on the front but don't have any pics to add.

Shovel mount

tchughes

• View Profile
Re: 2003 4Runner Limited V8
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 11:25:05 PM »
Recently I've been trying to prioritize my purchases by importance for safety while on the trail as opposed to just wants. It seems like most trips are never near a gas station with an air compressor so we find ourselves driving longer than we should while aired down. In the past I had the flow-master air compressor and it was a very poor performer, even after modding per other forums. After reading through reviews of compressors and power tanks I decided a compressor would work best for me as I don't plan on using air tools at this point. I had seen the performance of the ARB compressors first hand after being dunked in a mud pit, simply clearing the air filter got the compressor back online. The ARB single had good reviews but didn't put out much air and when off-roading there are generally 3-5 vehicles (3 are just my family). I needed something that would fill 9 to 12 tires from 18psi to 35psi in a reasonable time. The flow-master would take over an hour to do this if it didn't burn up first.
I decided to go with the ARB twin (CKMTA12), it was more money than I wanted to spend but I had been saving for sometime and decided to go for a product that could handle the job rather than settling. I installed the compressor under the hood with a factory style switch in the dash. I would like to eventually add a tank to the frame opposite the fuel tank.
I used heavy duty flat corner braces and bent them in the vice to the angles I needed.

Soldered the switch into the ARB wiring harness.

In general I will only be using the compressor to top off after airing down but to test the compressor I aired down my 275/70/17 to 0psi and back up to 35psi, which only took 2 minutes. Also, testing from 18psi to 35psi took just under a minute. So far I'm very happy and impressed with he performance.

arveetek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 08:08:39 AM »
Very nice!  Quite the 4Runner family you have there!

Casey
1995 Chevy Tahoe 2 door, 6.5L turbo diesel, 4L80E auto, NV241, 3.42's, Eaton ADL in rear, 285/75R16 BFG TA K02's on Toyota steelies, Roadmaster Active Suspension in rear, 1" crank in front, Westin brush guard

tchughes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 11:44:59 AM »
Thanks Casey, I decided to stay with what I was comfortable working with.  ;D

forunnin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 04:12:22 PM »
Nice ride!  I've got an '03 V8 as well, as you probably saw!  Love it!

tchughes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 09:54:33 PM »
Thanks forunnin, I've been following your build on T4R (go by llennium there), looks great.

tchughes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 12:17:57 AM »
The 4th gen 4Runners are really lacking on power outlets. I was able to find a dual USB plug that fits the factory size hole. I tied into the factory power outlet for power. These plugs have a blue LEDs that come on when power is applied. I disassembled and removed the LEDs since I have my power outlet modified to constant power.

MICTUNING 2.1A Dual USB Power Socket for Smart Phone PDA iPad iPhone Charger for Toyota
http://amzn.com/B010KC0JZI

tchughes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 10:24:48 PM »
Last weekend I got to spend four days and three nights in the Ozarks with a few friends. We ran part of what some call the "Highwater Mark" or "Arkansas Overland" trail, the rest was a route I planned after some research. After many months of little to no rain we were nearly washed away Thursday night when thunderstorms rolled through. Fortunately we were tucked between a couple mountains and didn't get the brunt of the wind.

We had a mix of vehicles on this trip, stock Jeep/3rd Gen. 4R with 3" lift/Trailblazer with 2" of lift/4th Gen 4R with 2" lift.

Here are a few pics from the trip. I have a few videos from the GoPro I'll post once I have everything cleaned up.

My view from the sleeping bag.

First morning after the storm.

Our view at first camp.

Hitting the road.

Old cemetery we stumbled on.

The water was up due to the storms that came through the night before but were passible. This is the Illinois bayou river.

We stopped in an old country store that was once the Post Office.

My sleep setup for three nights. I used a 40 degree bag with my down coat over legs for extra warmth. I need to look into replacing my sleeping bag or picking up a 20 or 0 degree bag for the cold nights. Due to the storms we had temps in the low 70's the first night and high 30's the last night. I'm still working on the storage box and will post pics once complete.

We had one of the best burgers at the Oark General Store. This is a must if you make it to the Ozarks. Notice the "Overlandguild" sticker on the door.

nmatcek

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 06:52:12 AM »
Great pics, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

2008 Chevy Colorado

tchughes

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 12:33:19 AM »
Great pics, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

No problem, glad you enjoyed them.

JeepEng

• I bleed Jeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2015, 08:02:00 AM »
Nice rig !! I'd like to see more info on your sleep platform and storage drawers !!  Keep up the progress !!!
Stay back , see it all !!!

tchughes

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 08:39:08 PM »
Nice rig !! I'd like to see more info on your sleep platform and storage drawers !!  Keep up the progress !!!

Thanks JeepEng. I'll post more details and pics once I get it finished. I was practically done and decided it was a little tall so I pulled everything, cut it down, and started re-assembling.

tchughes

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 08:44:34 PM »
On the last trip I played with the GoPro. I'm a newb with the editing software but thought I would share anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2lK8XyL04Q

Here are a couple vids a buddy grabbed with his phone so I apologize for the quality.
http://https://youtu.be/whS5KcC7kyc

http://https://youtu.be/9K8XloI1Yv4
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 08:45:09 PM by tchughes »

RichK

• Happy trails
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 05:07:12 AM »
I couldn't get any on your links to open using Safari.
Happy trails,
Rich Kimball

tchughes

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 08:46:21 PM »
I couldn't get any on your links to open using Safari.

@RichK Apologies, I'm not on here often and just noticed your post. Links should be fixed now.