Author Topic: The Overland Adventures - 4th Gen Build!  (Read 3355 times)

Vandy

• View Profile
Re: The Overland Adventures - 4th Gen Build!
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2016, 05:05:35 AM »
Love the new rig.  How does that v8 feel? 

forunnin

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2016, 06:55:23 AM »
Love the new rig.  How does that v8 feel?

Coming from a 3.0 2nd gen...?  AWESOME. lol!  It's very nice and the mileage isn't bad either, like you'd think it would be!  I average about 15mpg on the 33s.

forunnin

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 10:03:46 AM »
Had some time this weekend so I got my rear diff beather extended!

Vandy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2016, 04:45:57 PM »
Looks good. I like how that vents at the gas cap.  Probably a needed mod for some of the water crossings I've read about in the Ozarks.  Yall are my heros.  Water makes me cringe.  I had an expensive run in with some last spring.  Y 7.3 f350 went for a swim :'(  not sure she will be the same anytime soon

15 is pretty good. Plus more power is always an added bonus.  I stole the wife's 4runner this week to get it out of the garage.  It's getting between 14/16 on its "look at me tires/wheels".  Wish it was a v8 though.  I still want a 2nd Gen diesel.  I'd probably sell my wife for your old rig with a diesel in it lol
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 04:49:13 PM by Vandy »

forunnin

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2016, 04:57:32 PM »
Looks good. I like how that vents at the gas cap.  Probably a needed mod for some of the water crossings I've read about in the Ozarks.  Yall are my heros.  Water makes me cringe.  I had an expensive run in with some last spring.  Y 7.3 f350 went for a swim :'(  not sure she will be the same anytime soon

15 is pretty good. Plus more power is always an added bonus.  I stole the wife's 4runner this week to get it out of the garage.  It's getting between 14/16 on its "look at me tires/wheels".  Wish it was a v8 though.  I still want a 2nd Gen diesel.  I'd probably sell my wife for your old rig with a diesel in it lol

Yes, extended breathers are a MUST and a snorkel is high suggested for the Ozarks!  That's no good at all about your F350!

Hahahaha. I have a soft spot for the 2nd gens too, since my first vehicle was one, but not so sure it's that soft of a soft spot!  haha!

forunnin

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2016, 05:43:48 PM »
Not a big update, but I'm stoked on it!  Got my new Ram X-Grip phone/tablet mount installed!

forunnin

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2016, 11:48:43 AM »
Added a $69 Amazon LC80 snorkel this weekend! Install was pretty easy and straight forward! Since there really aren't any other options out there, I can say I would recommend this to others!

Amazon.com: TMSŪ Snorkel Air Ram Intake Kit for 90-97 Toyota 80 Series Land Cruiser / Lexus Lx450: Automotive

sammyt08fj

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2016, 11:22:23 AM »
what did you use to buff out the head lights?  and nice build btw....
1996 LX450 35's/Tripple Locked/Sliders/Custom Belly Skid/MetalTech Front Bumper/3.5 Inch Lift/1 Inch Body Lift/

forunnin

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2016, 02:45:02 PM »
what did you use to buff out the head lights?  and nice build btw....

Just a harbor freight polishing pad that goes in your hand drill and some meguiars cleaner wax!  It already need to be done again, so I might get a little more aggressive with it this time and do a real deal polish/wet-sand then clear coat them.  Thanks for the kind words!

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2016, 07:40:57 PM »
Just an FYI on a trac for the v8 4Runner:
It is always on, there just isn't a button for it like the fj cruiser or the v6 4wd models.
The awd system uses atrac whenever the truck is in 4low and the center doff locked.
It's the same way on the Lexus gx470 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

forunnin

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2016, 11:46:44 AM »
It is always on, there just isn't a button for it like the fj cruiser or the v6 4wd models.
The awd system uses atrac whenever the truck is in 4low and the center doff locked.

Good to know!  Does that still apply to my rig, with it being an '03? 

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2016, 05:33:22 PM »

Good to know!  Does that still apply to my rig, with it being an '03?

Yes. My Gx is an 03 as well.
When using the center diff lock, the computer turns off the vsc(vehicle stability control) and allows more throttle input while sending equal amounts of power to the front and rear diffs.
The atrac system then regulates wheel spin by using the braking system to slow down the tires that are spinning faster and transferring power to the other wheel.
It can make a lot of noise when using lower rpms over technical ascents/descents, but really is an effective system.