Author Topic: PINS for Memorial Day weekend  (Read 1207 times)

agentsteg

• View Profile
PINS for Memorial Day weekend
« on: May 20, 2015, 11:24:55 AM »
Anyone else planning to be down at PINS for Memorial Day weekend?  A buddy and I will be getting there Saturday around lunch and heading down towards the end for a couple of days of camping.

ludeykrus

• View Profile
Re: PINS for Memorial Day weekend
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 07:52:46 AM »
Howdy,

Curious how the trip to PINS went this past year? I'm driving something more reliable nowadays, and am seriously considering rolling down to PINS to camp and fish Memorial Day weekend this year... is it typically packed out? Hard to find good camping spots?

agentsteg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 09:55:28 AM »
There was a ridiculous storm last year.  We got completely soaked. 
The further down you go the less people you will see.  I typically camp somewhere where I can't see anyone in either direction.

ludeykrus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 01:14:33 PM »

There was a ridiculous storm last year.  We got completely soaked. 
The further down you go the less people you will see.  I typically camp somewhere where I can't see anyone in either direction.

Yikes, thanks for the update. Been having the itch lately to plan a trip with beach camping where I can cast my inflatable boat from the shore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PcBuilder14

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 07:18:27 PM »
What is PINS?

arveetek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 09:09:50 AM »
What is PINS?

Padre Island National Seashore:

http://www.nps.gov/pais/planyourvisit/traveling-down-island.htm

One of the few places in the U.S. where you can drive and camp on the beach.  I'd like to get down there some day.

Casey
1995 Chevy Tahoe 2 door, 6.5L turbo diesel, 4L80E auto, NV241, 3.42's, Eaton ADL in rear, 285/75R16 BFG TA K02's on Toyota steelies, Roadmaster Active Suspension in rear, 1" crank in front, Westin brush guard

Yellow_Jacket

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 01:24:15 PM »
Are you allowed to camp on the beach? From what I saw on the NPS.gov website you can only camp in the campgrounds. I think it would be awesome to set up camp on the beach it is allowed. I'd really rather not be awaken by a Ranger to be given a ticket.  ::)

agentsteg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 01:29:39 PM »
You are absolutely allowed to camp on the beach:  http://www.nps.gov/pais/planyourvisit/south_beach.htm

Yellow_Jacket

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 02:15:55 PM »
Very cool. I mentioned this to the wife and she is very interested in going. It's a long haul from KC. When is the best time to visit? I am not opposed to taking a long weekend off work and making the drive down but don't know when the best weather is to go. I was thinking in the Spring to avoid the south TX heat and the fall hurricane season?

agentsteg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 02:21:47 PM »
I typically go on Memorial Day or Labor Day.  Only had bad weather this last time.  The constant breeze of the ocean keeps things cool enough.

Yellow_Jacket

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 03:06:22 PM »
Any problems going with only one vehicle to the more remote areas? Not so much worried about getting stuck in the sand, more of the illegal activity coming north from our southern border.

agentsteg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 03:15:01 PM »
No. None that I know of.  I went single vehicle last time.  I haven't ever seen anything sketchy like that while I have been there.

Yellow_Jacket

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 03:18:09 PM »
Nothing set in stone yet but I think the wife and I will try to make the trip. We will probably be down on Sunday of Memorial weekend and stay a couple/three days then head home mid week. We will be in a LJ Rubicon pulling our Bantam expo trailer.  :)

ludeykrus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 05:31:39 PM »
Well the weather looks like it may be manageable, so we'll be heading down to PINS tomorrow and heading back on Monday. I'll likely have my truck's 2 meter rig monitoring 146.520  throughout the day, so feel free to give a shout if you're around and on the air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OklhaomaOverland

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 06:05:38 PM »
How was the trip? I make that journey annually in March.