Author Topic: Memorial Ozark Get-away 2015  (Read 810 times)

Whtshos

• View Profile
Memorial Ozark Get-away 2015
« on: April 03, 2015, 05:38:11 PM »
Planning on taking a few days off around the Memorial Day weekend. Tenative plan is to leave the Dallas area after work on the 19th and get to the Steel Creek Rec area that night. Chose that as a starting point for an easy first night set up in the dark. From here we can spend a day or two checking out the Ponca area on foot. Eventually work our way down towards Appleton, staying along the way where ever we see fit. Make it back home sometime Monday afternoon or evening.
There are a couple areas of concern, but I have found alternate routes past those spots if needed. This route (Feb Trip) is the credit of Jayston, I just made a couple changes to see some other sites along the way. On the map, it shows to be 158 miles.
Navigation tools will be the Ipad Air with the Avenza PDF maps APP and topo maps downloaded. Dual Electronics Bluetooth GPS puck. I like the topo they offer as they are old and show the old structures and locations I am interested in.
If anybody is in the area, feel free to drop by and say HI or travel with. Look for the WJ towing an MBT trailler with a RTT mounted on the trailer.
Being a kid again is fun!!

forunnin

• View Profile
Re: Memorial Ozark Get-away 2015
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 03:41:48 PM »
Planning on taking a few days off around the Memorial Day weekend. Tenative plan is to leave the Dallas area after work on the 19th and get to the Steel Creek Rec area that night. Chose that as a starting point for an easy first night set up in the dark. From here we can spend a day or two checking out the Ponca area on foot. Eventually work our way down towards Appleton, staying along the way where ever we see fit. Make it back home sometime Monday afternoon or evening.
There are a couple areas of concern, but I have found alternate routes past those spots if needed. This route (Feb Trip) is the credit of Jayston, I just made a couple changes to see some other sites along the way. On the map, it shows to be 158 miles.
Navigation tools will be the Ipad Air with the Avenza PDF maps APP and topo maps downloaded. Dual Electronics Bluetooth GPS puck. I like the topo they offer as they are old and show the old structures and locations I am interested in.
If anybody is in the area, feel free to drop by and say HI or travel with. Look for the WJ towing an MBT trailler with a RTT mounted on the trailer.

It's pretty much a guarantee that Steel Creek won't have any camping spots available after 5pm or so on a Friday or Saturday, let alone on Memorial Day weekend.  Sadly, you can't make reservations.  I camped there last weekend and we got there around 10pm Friday and the camp host had to send us packing.  Be sure to have a backup campsite in mind.  Kyles Landing is closest, but is accessible by 4x4 only (according to the camp host at Steel Creek), and Erbie and Ozark campgrounds are also close by.  We were able to come back to Steel Creek on Saturday morning and grab a spot after some folks had packed up and hit the trails for the day. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 03:44:46 PM by forunnin »

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 10:04:51 AM »
Kyle landing is just a steep, unmaintained road... don't know if 4x4 only, but definitely not a prius road. My personal favorite is Erbie.

Whtshos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 09:43:06 PM »
Thanks for the info!!
Our plan was to show up Wednesday or Thursday night and go from there. 
Side note (question), what do you guys look at to determine water levels of crossings before you leave home? :read alternate route planning:
I've been watching the AR Whitewater reports but I'm not familiar enough with the gauging station locations in comparison to my planned routes.
Being a kid again is fun!!