Author Topic: Jeep Wrangler storage  (Read 3653 times)

Nigel Caffiene

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Jeep Wrangler storage
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 10:14:27 AM »
I have another question for the TJ people, what kind of range are you getting out of just you gas tank?

Range is limited with the 18 gallon standard tank on the 4.0 liter engine (I am assuming it is the Straight 6 and not the 4cyl). Out in Big Bend, in 4 hi and low, I usually get about 250 mile range. It is not the best. My TJ is equipped with a swing out spare tyre that is equipped to carry two 5 gallon Jerry cans. That gives me a critical reserve of 150 miles. When I plan trips I make judicious use of fuel stops, and I never, never go anywhere without the two Jerry Cans full of petrol. You may never know if the next town's only fuel station has closed and the next fuel station is ten miles out of range. Been there, done that in South Texas.

arveetek

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 10:24:00 PM »
For the local Arkansas trips, I carried a spare jug of fuel, but never needed it.  I don't think I ever got below 1/2 tank before running into a fuel station along the way.  That was on my 4 cylinder TJ.

Casey
1995 Chevy Tahoe 2 door, 6.5L turbo diesel, 4L80E auto, NV241, 3.42's, Eaton ADL in rear, 285/75R16 BFG TA K02's on Toyota steelies, Roadmaster Active Suspension in rear, 1" crank in front, Westin brush guard

MOguy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 10:54:20 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I have run my jeep down to E but never put more thsn 16 gallons in it.  I will bring an extra 5 gallon with me and pay attention to how much I use.
2001 Wrangler lifted, 34X10.50 Super Swampers, locked, winch, belly up this and that.

Catfish37

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 07:13:43 AM »
I wheeled a tj for a few years. Once I got into the overland style wheelin I quickly learned. Space is a premium. I ended up trading my jeep for a double cab taco. Now I have room for the family and all the gear. Before I bought the taco my wife wouldn't even consider going. Now we have our first trip next weekend. Man I am excited about them coming along

MOguy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 07:26:01 AM »
My over landing at this point will just be weekend trips. I still do off-roading where I want the solid axle.   I have a 4Runner and have and an older S10.  They just can't off-road like a vehicle with a solid axle and you there is just too much sheet metal and glass.  My 4Runner is great, it is a 4wheel and for mild trials it is fine.  I would love and loader 4Runner with the solid axle but have no intentions on build anything that has any independent suspension, I would also rule out anything that was unibody.
2001 Wrangler lifted, 34X10.50 Super Swampers, locked, winch, belly up this and that.

MOguy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2015, 05:10:17 PM »
Built a shelf for more storage:

« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 05:13:03 PM by MOguy »

Nigel Caffiene

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2015, 10:57:30 AM »
Now, that is a neat idea!

MOguy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2015, 05:12:07 PM »
Now, that is a neat idea!

I can fit a sleeping and a some MREs up there.

JeepEng

• I bleed Jeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2015, 10:57:30 PM »
When camping alone I pull the rear set and the passenger seat and use the wood platform I made that allows me to sleep inside my TJ. And I also use a rack like Nigel across the wheel wells and I just sleep under it. I stow tools and heavy stuff under the platform
Where the passenger seat and floorboard are. Light stuff and cooler on the inside rack. On my roof rack I pack fuel and a chainsaw.  The receiver baskets from Harbor Freight are the perfect size for the interior rack. Just strap it to the rear seat mounting pins !! Work great !!!  Then if need be you can pull it out and slide it into your rear receiver hitch to make interior room !! 
Stay back , see it all !!!