Author Topic: Jeep Wrangler storage  (Read 3793 times)

MOguy

• View Profile
Jeep Wrangler storage
« on: March 01, 2015, 11:01:54 AM »
There are a few here dealing with this.  I have seen some trialers  but how are people without trailers dealing with this?
2001 Wrangler lifted, 34X10.50 Super Swampers, locked, winch, belly up this and that.

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Jeep Wrangler storage
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 11:42:44 AM »
Pack less stuff :)

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 11:45:23 AM »
In all seriousness... if I can happily live out of a backpack for 14 days, why can't I live comfortably out of a jeep for the same amount of time? Pack like your backpacking. I seem to carry far more than needed because I try to help people out when needed mechanically, otherwise I would have abo it two less containers.

MOguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 12:04:49 PM »
I spent my first 3 years in the Army in a light infantry unit, I can travel light.  Right now it is just me and my older son. I am hoping to get my wife and younger son into this.  With the back seat out there is allot of room, withe seat in it get crowded.
2001 Wrangler lifted, 34X10.50 Super Swampers, locked, winch, belly up this and that.

Razorbackcruiser

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 02:23:04 PM »
Don't listen to Jayston!  He doesn't believe in "glamping" (aka glamor camping).  He'll go on a 4 day trip with some can tuna, beef jerky, and a blanket so he could sleep in the driver's seat!  I've been trying to get him to enjoy the WHOLE experience more and that includes your meals, campfire time and sleeping. 

My advice is to go on trips.  The more trips you take the more you can figure out what you really need and want and streamline your inventory.  My list of things changes almost trip to trip as I make little tweaks to my supplies and rig in order to make my trip easier and more enjoyable.
1997 Toyota Landcruiser - 3x locked, 4" lift, 315 Toyo MT's, ARB front w/Warn M12000, Ironpig rear w/dual swingouts

MOguy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 05:58:56 PM »
I have been think about ways to save space. MREs or food that does not need to be kept cold, no ice chest.  Light weight sleeping bags and foot warmers if it gets cold. Air mattress instead of cot, i have done my time on the hard ground.

simpleman909

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 09:22:28 PM »
I am somewhat like before mentioned. Granted I've never done a really long trip but I can go three or four days with out an ice chest. I am more of a minimalist type traveler. I carry tools, a food pack, and a large Alice pack with my camping gear in it. Including a hammock and my -40 sleeping bag. I also carry a few tarps too. Last trip I took a case of bottled water and a 5 gal water jug that I never touched. If it rains, I sleep in the jeep. If not I'll string up my hammock.

You better watch where you're going and remember where you been.

arveetek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 12:52:28 PM »
Don't listen to Jayston!  He doesn't believe in "glamping" (aka glamor camping).  He'll go on a 4 day trip with some can tuna, beef jerky, and a blanket so he could sleep in the driver's seat!  I've been trying to get him to enjoy the WHOLE experience more and that includes your meals, campfire time and sleeping. 

Truth!  I've seen Jayston sleep in his driver's seat on more than one occasion!!  :D  Myself, I need a bit more of a traditional sleeping arrangement.

However, I have another friend with a TJ, and he and his son regularly sleep in the front seats.  I don't know how they do that, really.  They pack pretty light as well.

Casey
1995 Chevy Tahoe 2 door, 6.5L turbo diesel, 4L80E auto, NV241, 3.42's, Eaton ADL in rear, 285/75R16 BFG TA K02's on Toyota steelies, Roadmaster Active Suspension in rear, 1" crank in front, Westin brush guard

MOguy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 03:09:29 PM »
I got these

adn going to use them like this.

They will stack together really well and shoud be easy to strap down.

Nigel Caffiene

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 03:31:06 PM »
Hey guys,

I have 2000 Jeep TJ that I have used regularly for long trips. Space is premium. However, the idea of packing in respect to that of a backpacker is key. Granted I am usually solo in those travels but here is how I set-up my Jeep. Currently, all I have access to is photos from 2012 and my old set-up. Photos are courtesy of Scott Brown, www.lifestylesinlight.com

This set-up was the most effective for me in my storage management. With the rear fold and tumble rear seat removed, I added a rack that is just above the fender wells to hold lighter gear and the bottom is left with the water, recovery, 52 liter fridge, and miscellaneous items.

In the above photo, you will see my tent-cot up in the rack, my commissary in the wicker box, water can, and fridge.

In the attached photo is on my truly first long duration trip along the Mexican Border from Texas to Arizona. This photo shows the basic kit I had. 

Since, then, I have streamlined my gear even further and use Alu-Boxes to stack neatly by the fridge. The fridge is permanently mounted in my Jeep.

You have to pay close attention to your payload and gross weight limitations. Configured in my old set up, I was easily overloading my Jeep - sometimes four hundred pounds over. Sometimes, I tend to over pack and having the gear already stowed in their proper boxes helps me from packing two or three of the same type of gear. It also helps when transferring from vehicle to vehicle.

Cheers,

Nigel

Mr. Leary

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 12:42:15 PM »
Pay attention to Nigel's build.  Everything is tastefully done and well thought out.

MOguy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 04:25:34 PM »
Pay attention to Nigel's build.  Everything is tastefully done and well thought out.

With the back seat storage isn't an issue.  If it is just myself and my oldest I can take out the rear seat and have plenty of room.  With the seat in that is the problem.  I either need to pack light at that point or consider a rack or trailer.

I have a larger trailer that is too big for getting through tight areas, my concern with the roof rack is low hanging branches. 

I do have a rack that sits above the rear tire.  If it is my 2 boys and I I can make things work.  If the wife comes along than I won't have room.  I have gotten a couple military specter (sp?) gas cans that helps with fuel, but even just that and water take up allot of space in a wrangler. 

I am thinking about a roof rack that attaches to the windshield frame and roll bar behind my head.  That, my rear rack and the little space I can find in the Wrangler may be enough if my wife and boys come along.

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 08:37:25 PM »
Hate to say it, but.... with four people it may get extremely challenging, especially for anything longer than a few days. My recommendation would be a larger vehicle if four passengers is your end goal.

MOguy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 07:58:34 AM »
I have another question for the TJ people, what kind of range are you getting out of just you gas tank?

MOguy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 08:04:54 AM »
Hate to say it, but.... with four people it may get extremely challenging, especially for anything longer than a few days. My recommendation would be a larger vehicle if four passengers is your end goal.

For me the over landing runs would only be for a few days.  We have a 4Runner and another camper if we go longer but they wouldn't work for off-road adventures.  The 4Runner is 4wd and it can get out a bit but it is big and awkward compared to the Wrangler and it is stock and doesn't have the off-road capabilities as my Wrangler.

We do allot of trailer camping in state and federal parks around my area in the camper.  I have convinced my wife to go tent camping.  We are going to Diamond Crater towards the end of the month as long as the weather is decent.  Itís a start.  She is worried that if we camp in the wood and not in an actual big camp ground she will get eaten by bears.