Author Topic: Roof top tent  (Read 2641 times)

Stevenb

• View Profile
Roof top tent
« on: February 26, 2015, 09:13:07 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with any roof top tents? Any name brands to stay away from? I'm looking at this one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/251845234472?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT I like the size of this one http://www.cascadiatents.com/CVT-Mt-Adams-Roof-Top-Tents-(RTT).htm?m=87&s=615&&id=158 better but don't really want to spend that much for a tent. 

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Roof top tent
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 04:35:24 PM »
While most of the RTT's are being produced in China, I think some of the more name brand systems are worth their additional price... They tend to stand by their warranty and the quality control is much higher.

My personal favorite is the Front Runner
http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/tents-awnings/front-runner-feather-lite-roof-top-tent.html

Stevenb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 06:07:33 AM »
Thanks for the info Jayston

MOguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 08:10:15 AM »
I worry about low hanging branches and ripping up or damaging thing on top.  How protected are roof top tents once they are closed up?
2001 Wrangler lifted, 34X10.50 Super Swampers, locked, winch, belly up this and that.

Whtshos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 09:16:10 PM »
I have really enjoyed my TEPUI so far.  The cover is not indestructible, but it is very strong. I have drug it through some stuff it should not have been in and held up fine. The paint is not repairable on the rig but the tent and cover made it through with no damage. The covers are replaceable stand alone on the TEPUI's.

Just my experience.
Being a kid again is fun!!

Nigel Caffiene

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 09:32:23 AM »
I have the South African made Eezi-Awn which is fairly heavy-duty. The tent is built for safaris and it shows. The cover is a heavy-duty tarp made to protect the tent (the tent material itself is burr, abrasion, and thorn resistant) from branches and travel. Nonetheless, it is not indestructible.  Mine I call the Taj Mahal because of its sheer size. My girlfriend loves that tent; especially the mattress (she claims she sleeps better in my tent than on her own bed. She even replaced her mattress with what is in my Eezi-Awn). However, that means I have to take my Adventure Trailer on our outings until I get a smaller RTT to mount directly to my Tacoma. The Eezi-Awns I would highly recommend. Workmanship and quality of materials is what you pay for and then some.

Personally, roof top tents are just like normal ground tents. You still have to set them up and pack them away. Dry them out when wet. If they are mounted to your vehicle and not on a trailer, you have to stow it before you can use your vehicle. Which is a pain to me, I have been spoiled just throwing an air mattress and my sleeping bag down in the bed of my truck with the softtop. When I wake up, just rolling it up, and I am good to go. No hassle of stowing away a tent.

Anyways, cheers,

Nigel

Stevenb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 09:07:38 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.  I have another question.  I've read that with some of the RTT's you can leave your bedding in it when you put it up. I've not had the chance to look at any that close.  Can you leave your sleeping bag and pillow in your RTT when you fold it up with no problems? That's one reason I'm looking in to them.  Quicker set up and take down time. 

foo.c

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 06:20:43 AM »
Thanks for the info guys.  I have another question.  I've read that with some of the RTT's you can leave your bedding in it when you put it up. I've not had the chance to look at any that close.  Can you leave your sleeping bag and pillow in your RTT when you fold it up with no problems? That's one reason I'm looking in to them.  Quicker set up and take down time. 

You can up to a point.  A couple of bags and a couple of pillows should be no problem.

Nigel Caffiene

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 10:45:02 AM »
Yes. Up to a point as Foo mention. Just leave the sleeping bags unrolled.

Stevenb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 07:47:25 PM »
I bought a Geo Adventure Gear RTT from Venezuela.  The tent and construction seems to be ok so far except that the annex leaked pretty bad on my first camping trip.  It leaked from the upper and lower zippers. It has flaps over the zippers but the water went right through the flaps.  I sent the manufacturer pics and told them it leaked and they replied back saying all other manufacturer's annexes leak also.  I find that hard to believe.  Does anyone else have RTT with annex that can give me any input on this? 

JeepEng

• I bleed Jeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 10:29:45 PM »
This is why I bought my K5 !! Throw a futon in and go !! 2 adults sleep very comfortably and I leave everything exactly where it sits !!  If I had kids to take with me , I'd RTT it and have an upstairs.
Stay back , see it all !!!

Stevenb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 09:13:17 AM »
Ya when it was just me and the wife it was a lot easier.  We have 3 kids now and might end up adopting another to make 4. I was hoping a RTT would be the easiest way with taking a big family out and enjoy overlanding.

Whtshos

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 10:18:05 PM »
It may be possible to apply some sort of a wax to the zippers in assistance of the leak. It is a tent though. By biggest learning curve so far, was not to allow anything to touch the walls when wet. Just spent 4 nights at the lake with my boy. Rained every day and most of the nights.  Very wet around us, but after some small adjustment inside, it went super well and stayed dry and happy.
I hope you find that your purchase turns out good and can be altered with minimum work.
Being a kid again is fun!!

forunnin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 10:11:32 AM »
It may be possible to apply some sort of a wax to the zippers in assistance of the leak. It is a tent though. By biggest learning curve so far, was not to allow anything to touch the walls when wet. Just spent 4 nights at the lake with my boy. Rained every day and most of the nights.  Very wet around us, but after some small adjustment inside, it went super well and stayed dry and happy.
I hope you find that your purchase turns out good and can be altered with minimum work.

Making sure to not let anything touch the walls is always key with any type of tent!  As soon as it gets touched, the water will wick right though!

anything