Author Topic: trailers  (Read 3400 times)

MOguy

• View Profile
trailers
« on: February 20, 2015, 07:49:55 AM »
Who here has trailers they take with them?  I have a larger 5X10 cargo with a spring over on 33s but it is a little larger than trailers people use for this type overlanding.
2001 Wrangler lifted, 34X10.50 Super Swampers, locked, winch, belly up this and that.

Trailfrog

• View Profile
    • Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club
Re: trailers
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 08:12:19 AM »

I used to pull this one, but sold it to buy a J30 top from Ursa Minor.

2008 Jeep JK Unlimited, 3.25" Rough Country lift,  Rocky Road Supersliders, 35" Toyo OC MT's on Black Rock Viper wheels, Rubicon Dana 44 axles with factory e-lockers, 5.13 gears, AEV Tire Carrier, Rugged Ridge Snorkel, Smittybilt front bumper with 10,000lb winch, AEV fuel carrier,and Edgestar fridge

MOguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 09:01:07 AM »

I used to pull this one, but sold it to buy a J30 top from Ursa Minor.

That is a nice setup.  I have the TJ and space is more of an issue.  My off roading experience has been primarily one day trails and off road parks.  Overlanding is new to me.  Space is an issue in a TJ.  Now it seems myself and my 13 year old son are interested in this.  Without the back seat there is room.  I have an 8 year old and at this point off roading isn't fun for him, adn would rather do something with mommy, but things change. If I have to put the seat in I loose allot of space.  I do have a rack above my spare tire to help carry a few things.

I used to be in a light Infantry unit and can "camp" with very little but now that way of camping isn't happening.  When we go camping now we have the 4Runner and a hybrid camper.   

2001 Wrangler lifted, 34X10.50 Super Swampers, locked, winch, belly up this and that.

arveetek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 01:39:58 PM »
I have the TJ and space is more of an issue.  My off roading experience has been primarily one day trails and off road parks.  Overlanding is new to me.  Space is an issue in a TJ.  Now it seems myself and my 13 year old son are interested in this.  Without the back seat there is room.  I have an 8 year old and at this point off roading isn't fun for him, adn would rather do something with mommy, but things change. If I have to put the seat in I loose allot of space.

I feel ya.  I had a TJ, and even when overlanding by myself, I had to take the backseat out.  I could take my 6 year old daughter, and that was it.  The TJ's are awesome and fun for short trips, but a family of four for multiple days is really asking a lot due to space restrictions.  I sold my TJ and love the room of my 2-door Tahoe (think full-size Blazer), but am now missing the Jeep.  I would love to have a TJ Unlimited or a 4 door JK.  We'll see what happens.

Casey
1995 Chevy Tahoe 2 door, 6.5L turbo diesel, 4L80E auto, NV241, 3.42's, Eaton ADL in rear, 285/75R16 BFG TA K02's on Toyota steelies, Roadmaster Active Suspension in rear, 1" crank in front, Westin brush guard

EJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 07:46:32 PM »

(sorry for the cross-post) I rolled my own, started out as a Harbor Freight "HD" 4x8 utility trailer. Shortened and narrowed it to 44"x6' and had the frame welded. It went everywhere my old Subaru could pull it. Planning on upgrading the crappy utility trailer springs to something with a little more flex so we can pull it down some rougher trails without shaking up the beer too much.
2005 Nissan Frontier Nismo 4x4 Crew Cab: Full OME suspension, 32" Kenda MT's, ARB bullbar bumper, P&P rock sliders, snorkel, softopper .

MOguy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 08:46:57 PM »

(sorry for the cross-post) I rolled my own, started out as a Harbor Freight "HD" 4x8 utility trailer. Shortened and narrowed it to 44"x6' and had the frame welded. It went everywhere my old Subaru could pull it. Planning on upgrading the crappy utility trailer springs to something with a little more flex so we can pull it down some rougher trails without shaking up the beer too much.

that is nice

DblD

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 09:40:42 PM »
Coleman pop-up tent camper built on a M116A3 military flatbed trailer.

MOguy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 07:10:37 AM »
Coleman pop-up tent camper built on a M116A3 military flatbed trailer.

Tha is nice, is that Akers Ferry?

EJ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 07:25:29 AM »
Sweet pop up, love it.
2005 Nissan Frontier Nismo 4x4 Crew Cab: Full OME suspension, 32" Kenda MT's, ARB bullbar bumper, P&P rock sliders, snorkel, softopper .

DblD

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 11:09:30 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes. Our annual Alley Spring campout is not complete without a trip to Devil's Well and a crossing over the Current at Akers.

dd

MOguy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 09:33:04 AM »

[/quote]

Yes. Our annual Alley Spring campout is not complete without a trip to Devil's Well and a crossing over the Current at Akers.

dd
[/quote]

I don't live to far from there.  We camp at alley springs allot.  I have been to Akers but never taken the ferry, just watched it.  I have been to devils well.  It is a beautiful area.  As my boys get older I am wanting to do more over landing and space is limited in a Wrangler so  I am thinking about a smaller trail for the jeep.   Currently this is how we camp.  I have no intention of getting rid of the camper or the 4Runner.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 09:35:40 AM by MOguy »

forunnin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 03:40:35 PM »
I don't live to far from there.  We camp at alley springs allot.  I have been to Akers but never taken the ferry, just watched it.  I have been to devils well.  It is a beautiful area.  As my boys get older I am wanting to do more over landing and space is limited in a Wrangler so  I am thinking about a smaller trail for the jeep.   Currently this is how we camp.  I have no intention of getting rid of the camper or the 4Runner.

If space is an issue with the jeep, why not overland the 4runner?

MOguy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 03:44:14 PM »

If space is an issue with the jeep, why not overland the 4runner?

Thatís momma's car.  I am not allowed to off-road it.  If I were to do it all over again I would look into get and older 4 runner with the solid axle and top that comes off and go from there.

anything