Author Topic: How to keep water out of your transmission...  (Read 2504 times)

forunnin

• View Profile
How to keep water out of your transmission...
« on: February 19, 2015, 09:37:37 AM »
In the last couple months there have been two rigs kill transmissions due to taking on water while playing in the OZNF.  I haven't made any modifications to my transmission breather yet, but plan to because I'm afraid of this happening to my rig (1993 4runner automatic).  What is the proper way to waterproof your transmission?!  What all needs to be done to prevent water from getting into your transmission if you're stuck in a hole for more than a few seconds?!  All ideas and recommendations welcome, please post them up! 

ElRob

• View Profile
Re: How to keep water out of your transmission...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 11:58:33 AM »
In my limited experience with Toyota, most late model transmissions have a vent breather that usually extends into the engine bay. I know on my FJ, the trans vent along with the T-case and front diff vent were located on the passenger side in between the engine block and the fender.
On my GX, the front end venting is stuffed behind the engine block close to the firewall relatively high up.
There are other ways of course that water can get into a transmission such as input and output bearings/seals as well as the shifter location.
Others may have input, specifically Jayston whose tacoma shares a similar if not exact drive train as your T4R.

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 10:36:14 PM »
Here's my experience.

One vent exists for the transmission on my tacoma. It exits the bellhousing  and makes a difficult turn and then just sits there, about exhaust height. I extended this into the engine bay next two my front differential and actuator breathers and my transfer case breather.

Any and every time I've had water get in my transmission it's because my front pump seal failed.

The world had to align perfectly for this to happen. In my case, two bolts were left out of the lower inspection cover with and small gap.

Your flexplate and torque converter are turning ~1k times a minute at small throttle application. 4-5 at high throttle. There is a massive void space in the bellhousing, full of hot air and fast spinning parts. I assume a vacuum forms and then all this nasty mud gets pulled in from the spinning parts inside the bell housing. If this is crystal clear water, probably not and issue... only this is water with silt, pine needles, dead things, dinosaur bones and long forgotten atvs stuck in the bottom. So they get sucked up, twirled around at several thousand RPM and grind away at the precious seal holding the nasty out and good in. Seal fails, it enters and fluid comes out.

Edit: I've put three rear main seals and two front pump seals in

1ste rear main: previous owner did something stupid and then stuffed cardboard in the inspection plate to absorb oil while I test drove. Replaced with failpro from auto store. Didn't even work for the test drive.
2nd: Stuck in pit of despair for a long time.
3rd: weeping when front pump seal failed, changed for good measure.

Front pump seal: 1st was random. Changed in Arkansas shop owned by local funeral home, pulled all nighter  to do it. The cremator ran while I changed it.
2nd: found trail with crazy hard core clay ruts. Ended up sliding sideways into a small pond that had formed on trail. Drove out eventually, enough water in passenger side of truck to fully submerge door speaker.

So to answer your question. Stay out of the mud.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 10:43:44 PM by Jayston »

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 10:45:02 PM »
And typically clear water = not seal killer.

Muddy water= seal killer.

arveetek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 08:13:12 AM »

This is by far the best advice I've ever heard you give!   :D ;D

I don't like mud.  Randy hates mud now.  Are you going to stay out of the mud now??  :-\

Casey
1995 Chevy Tahoe 2 door, 6.5L turbo diesel, 4L80E auto, NV241, 3.42's, Eaton ADL in rear, 285/75R16 BFG TA K02's on Toyota steelies, Roadmaster Active Suspension in rear, 1" crank in front, Westin brush guard

forunnin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 09:18:40 AM »
Here's my experience.

One vent exists for the transmission on my tacoma. It exits the bellhousing  and makes a difficult turn and then just sits there, about exhaust height. I extended this into the engine bay next two my front differential and actuator breathers and my transfer case breather.

Any and every time I've had water get in my transmission it's because my front pump seal failed.

The world had to align perfectly for this to happen. In my case, two bolts were left out of the lower inspection cover with and small gap.

Your flexplate and torque converter are turning ~1k times a minute at small throttle application. 4-5 at high throttle. There is a massive void space in the bellhousing, full of hot air and fast spinning parts. I assume a vacuum forms and then all this nasty mud gets pulled in from the spinning parts inside the bell housing. If this is crystal clear water, probably not and issue... only this is water with silt, pine needles, dead things, dinosaur bones and long forgotten atvs stuck in the bottom. So they get sucked up, twirled around at several thousand RPM and grind away at the precious seal holding the nasty out and good in. Seal fails, it enters and fluid comes out.

Edit: I've put three rear main seals and two front pump seals in

1ste rear main: previous owner did something stupid and then stuffed cardboard in the inspection plate to absorb oil while I test drove. Replaced with failpro from auto store. Didn't even work for the test drive.
2nd: Stuck in pit of despair for a long time.
3rd: weeping when front pump seal failed, changed for good measure.

Front pump seal: 1st was random. Changed in Arkansas shop owned by local funeral home, pulled all nighter  to do it. The cremator ran while I changed it.
2nd: found trail with crazy hard core clay ruts. Ended up sliding sideways into a small pond that had formed on trail. Drove out eventually, enough water in passenger side of truck to fully submerge door speaker.

So basically, make sure both seals are good and your breather is extended...  other than that there isn't much you can do, other than stay out of the muck.  That's no fun!!!  Thank you for the valuable input, Jayston, I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't some super secret old school overlanding trick to getting it sealed up super tight to keep the muck out.

simpleman909

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 11:30:01 AM »
This is how I keep the mud out of my jeep. Lol

You better watch where you're going and remember where you been.

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 08:38:20 AM »
Yep, the 4lux is a standard... never had this problem with it.

Trailfrog

• View Profile
    • Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 11:10:12 AM »
This is how I keep the mud out of my jeep. Lol

Nice looking rig!
2008 Jeep JK Unlimited, 3.25" Rough Country lift,  Rocky Road Supersliders, 35" Toyo OC MT's on Black Rock Viper wheels, Rubicon Dana 44 axles with factory e-lockers, 5.13 gears, AEV Tire Carrier, Rugged Ridge Snorkel, Smittybilt front bumper with 10,000lb winch, AEV fuel carrier,and Edgestar fridge

simpleman909

• View Profile
How to keep water out of your transmission...
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 03:21:16 PM »
Thank you. It's not too shabby. I used to be strictly a mud guy but I've been shown the light of  overlanding. Lol
I have even been thinking of doing some mods to this one to make it more trail ready.
Not trying to thread Jack so I'll stop here. ;)

You better watch where you're going and remember where you been.

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 05:29:10 PM »
Fyi, the only open hole into my transmission bellhousing is a 1/4" by 1/4" square for drainage. All breathers are routed to firewall, setting behind the brake booster. I spent a good 30 minutes with a pressure washer and the inspection  cover off thinking I could take it back to the guy who rebuilt it... cleaning it so he wouldn't get dirty. Didn't help much.

anything