Author Topic: Extra fuel  (Read 2820 times)

MOguy

• View Profile
Extra fuel
« on: February 17, 2015, 12:30:46 PM »
I have an 01 wrangler and range is limited.  I am new to over landing.  I know there are 5 gallon jerry cans and mounts.  I like the idea of using a boat fuel tank and strapping it to a hitch carrier.  To me this seems more stable but not sure if a boat fuel tank could handle the abuse.

How are other here dealing with carrying extra fuel?
2001 Wrangler lifted, 34X10.50 Super Swampers, locked, winch, belly up this and that.

arveetek

• View Profile
Re: Extra fuel
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 05:42:17 PM »
On my 97 Wrangler, I've strapped a 5 gallon plastic tank to my spare tire on a few trips, and while it was plenty secure, the fuel always sloshed out no matter how tight I got the cap and vent.  You really need a storage container designed for off-road use.

Casey
1995 Chevy Tahoe 2 door, 6.5L turbo diesel, 4L80E auto, NV241, 3.42's, Eaton ADL in rear, 285/75R16 BFG TA K02's on Toyota steelies, Roadmaster Active Suspension in rear, 1" crank in front, Westin brush guard

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 08:42:27 PM »
I've seen people ratchet strap 5 gallon jerry cans to the spare tire with success.

nfbeckman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 07:33:14 AM »
On my 97 Wrangler, I've strapped a 5 gallon plastic tank to my spare tire on a few trips, and while it was plenty secure, the fuel always sloshed out no matter how tight I got the cap and vent.  You really need a storage container designed for off-road use.

Casey

You will need to get the non-carb compliant fuel cans. They don't leak no matter what. I'll post a link when I find out where I got mine. They are steel and look just like a NATO can.

nfbeckman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 08:14:26 AM »
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=171350910626

This is what I run. No leaking and fit in the smittybuilt can mounts with some slight stretching.   Beware though, they are cheaply built and the paint will peal in a few years but, hey they are nearly disposable at that price.

Slaw ninja

• Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 09:34:10 AM »
Dual 4-gallon Rotopax fuel canister mounted vertically next to spare tire in my JK. I have a TeraFlex tire carrier, and I had a custom mount cut out to hookup to the carrier. Works great, and gives me 8 gallons of Premium on any trail I need.
"Where we're going, we don't need roads." -Doc Brown, 1985

2009 JK Rubicon Unlimited

Trailfrog

• View Profile
    • Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 11:22:25 AM »
I have an 01 wrangler and range is limited.  I am new to over landing.  I know there are 5 gallon jerry cans and mounts.  I like the idea of using a boat fuel tank and strapping it to a hitch carrier.  To me this seems more stable but not sure if a boat fuel tank could handle the abuse.

I'm not sure I would want to run a hitch carrier on some of the trails we do.  It would most likely drag a lot.
2008 Jeep JK Unlimited, 3.25" Rough Country lift,  Rocky Road Supersliders, 35" Toyo OC MT's on Black Rock Viper wheels, Rubicon Dana 44 axles with factory e-lockers, 5.13 gears, AEV Tire Carrier, Rugged Ridge Snorkel, Smittybilt front bumper with 10,000lb winch, AEV fuel carrier,and Edgestar fridge

MOguy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 12:02:48 PM »

I'm not sure I would want to run a hitch carrier on some of the trails we do.  It would most likely drag a lot.

mine is up and out of the way. 
2001 Wrangler lifted, 34X10.50 Super Swampers, locked, winch, belly up this and that.

MOguy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 12:15:34 PM »
Dual 4-gallon Rotopax fuel canister mounted vertically next to spare tire in my JK. I have a TeraFlex tire carrier, and I had a custom mount cut out to hookup to the carrier. Works great, and gives me 8 gallons of Premium on any trail I need.

Those are cool but more than I am going to spend.

MOguy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 02:40:14 PM »
Found a person not too far from me that buys and sells Military surplus.  He says he has four cans in good shape, $30 for all of them.  I should be able to link up with him next week.

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 03:45:20 PM »
Awesome!

Trailfrog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 05:37:40 PM »
mine is up and out of the way. 

Interesting! So are you not able to zip your rear window shut?  I like that it's up and out of the way.  How do you deal with dust on the trail?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 06:52:33 PM by Trailfrog »
2008 Jeep JK Unlimited, 3.25" Rough Country lift,  Rocky Road Supersliders, 35" Toyo OC MT's on Black Rock Viper wheels, Rubicon Dana 44 axles with factory e-lockers, 5.13 gears, AEV Tire Carrier, Rugged Ridge Snorkel, Smittybilt front bumper with 10,000lb winch, AEV fuel carrier,and Edgestar fridge

MOguy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 06:21:56 PM »
Depending on the time of year and weather I often have the top down anyway. I do plan on cutting a flag in the rear window so I can stick the rack through so I can zip up the window.

In the past when I have wheeled it has been mostly one day runs and I don't take it.  Overlanding is new to me. Sometimes when I go fishing I take it, even than I often take a trailer.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 06:24:39 PM by MOguy »

Trailfrog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 06:58:02 PM »
That would work.  It can get pretty dusty out there at times.

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 08:14:29 PM »
Horribly dusty.

anything