Author Topic: Overland Christmas  (Read 1368 times)

Whtshos

• View Profile
Overland Christmas
« on: December 16, 2014, 09:23:12 PM »
My bride and I are planning an outdoor Christmas in the Ozarks. Looking at leaving out the afternoon of the 23rd and staying till the weeks end. We will start our stay near the area I know as Powerline Trail, east of the recreation area and RV grounds of Moccasin Gap. (Think that's right??)  Hoping our journeys will take us through the central region and end either in Cass or Deer.
This will be our maiden voyage with the Tepui Gran Sabana. Feel free to chime in with concerns or NEED TO SEE comments.
Being a kid again is fun!!

Brushogger

• View Profile
Re: Overland Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 11:53:26 AM »
Sounds like a great way to spend the holidays.!!
"I want to be a hero member just like Jayston and Scott!"

Boycott Show Low Arizona, the photo camera speed trap capital of the world!

Whtshos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 06:39:42 PM »
We were not able to make it for Christmas, but did escape for New Years. We woke up 1-1-15 atop K-Trail with a nice storm front pushing in on top of us.
Made it to 3 Sticks before the rain and headed towards Mena.  While we were near Rich Mtn, the ice started to form on everything but the road. Got down to Mena and fueled up and grabbed a coffee refill before moving on into the Ouachita NF.  The rain continued but  so did we. Taking pics as the rain allowed. It was neat to watch the clouds freeze to the trees on Eagle Mtn.
We stayed at the Bard Springs grounds, those huts are really cool! It let up for a little bit the next day for some pics and a short walk.  Rain came back in harder than before so we decided to head south.
Wound up staying at my buddies place, this allowed me to dry the tent and take the chill off the bones. The rain finally broke Sunday on the way home. Had a great weekend even though the weather tried to derail us.
The TEPUI held up great!!

Whtshos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 09:13:40 PM »

RichK

• Happy trails
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 12:42:11 PM »
Great.  Thanks for the post.
Happy trails,
Rich Kimball

Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 11:01:34 PM »
Enjoyed the pictures. Where was the  photo of the dam at?

Whtshos

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 04:52:39 PM »
The small dam is at the Bard Springs camp area and the larger one is at Shady Lake, just down around the corner.

Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 10:49:56 PM »
Many thanks, I've got em on my list.