Author Topic: Tire Balancing Beads  (Read 899 times)

foo.c

• View Profile
Tire Balancing Beads
« on: December 07, 2014, 11:29:50 AM »
Trying this again, last time I posted this the server appeared to rollback and lost my post.

I have this one tire that's kinda iffy on the balance. NTB gave up on the dynamic balancing machine and static balanced it. That improved it a lot, but I guess I want to have everything. :)

Reports seem kinda hit or miss with tire beads. I see reports that are glowing and others say they didn't help or made it worse.

Obviously if you have a bad wheel or tire out of round, nothing is going to fix that, I think maybe some of the bad reviews are from that.

Curious what the people here say.

Username

• View Profile
Re: Tire Balancing Beads
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 11:07:48 AM »
I ran a Truck stop up until a few weeks ago(new job)  and that was our main form of balancing.  Counter Act was what we used.  They are glass beeds.  Where most people had issues was with a product called equal (like the sugar substitute).  Well, it pretty much was still sugar.  If it gets moisture in it, it cakes up and turns into big rocks!  The counter act isn't affected by moisture and we always had good feedback from it.  I ran it on my motorcycle, my current truck, and my last two sets of tires on my 89 mazda. 

What I liked most about it is that they will react to any mud or gravel you pick up.  Or if you live on gravel like I do, the 20lbs or rock dust stuck to the inside of the wheel. 

foo.c

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 12:46:23 PM »
I bought some dynabeads off eBay.

This morning I Used my hi lift to break the bead and poured in 8.5 oz off them. Aired up and went on a short drive down the highway.

It might be too soon to declare them a success but I didn't feel the vibration. 

I swear I feel them when I shift at slower speed. Could be my imagination though. Not a big deal either way. 

Username

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 10:53:33 AM »
I've been told that they fall at slow speeds. You have to be going so fast to keep the centrifical force up.

foo.c

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 12:55:18 PM »
Probably so.

It's been almost a week now, and the beads are a success.

I think I am going to get some more for the other tires, even though the balance is pretty good on those. As you say when you get off pavement your balance is probably going to be a little off when you get back on the road.

ASI H8

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 09:27:12 PM »
First post here on Guild of Overland Adventures. 
I know this post may be a bit late but I was having issues with my 37", bead locks, on my '95 4Runner.  I used about 8oz of plastic soft air pellets for each wheel/tire.  Tires are in OK shape.  There are a lug or two on each that were chunked off and most shops hate bead locks, so conventional balancing was out.  Before I couldn't get over 55 mph.  Now I can run up to 80mph.  they worked great for me.  Just did some research to match up tire air volume to amount of ounces of pellets needed.

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 12:01:19 PM »
I just vacuumed my beads out. They seemed to work dependant on the temperature, cold they clumped and one tire would not balance. Warm they worked awesome. I did notice that emergency braking tended to throw them off balance a bit.

MOguy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 07:27:14 PM »
I am using 10 oz beads with my  bias ply super swampers, 34X10.5 on 15 inch rims.  It is working really well.  I tried it before with 33X12.5 TrXus mts witn no luck.
2001 Wrangler lifted, 34X10.50 Super Swampers, locked, winch, belly up this and that.