Author Topic: Lexus GX470 (Prado Grande)  (Read 19510 times)

forunnin

• View Profile
Re: Lexus GX470 (Prado Grande)
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2015, 10:42:22 AM »
Very nice addition!

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2015, 10:22:41 AM »
Added some new tires today.

255/80R17 Cooper ST MAXX

pictures to come!

forunnin

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2015, 04:03:20 PM »
Added some new tires today.

255/80R17 Cooper ST MAXX

pictures to come!

Love the look of those tires!  There is a guy on ih8mud with them on his GX and they look awesome!

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2015, 10:23:59 PM »
I went that direction as well!

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2015, 04:39:44 PM »

I went that direction as well!

Looks like they clean out really well!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2015, 06:08:03 PM »
Some pics of the new tires.

Definite improvement over the treadwrights. Mileage has increased due to less rolling resistance. Steering is much lighter. Noise is less, but to be expected of a new tire.

I'll be traveling to Austin the beginning of May, so that will be a nice trip to provide some feedback for highway feel.

The shop that put them on had them at 40psi.
For highway driving that may be the best option, but I find that 35-36 range rides much better. Especially not being loaded in the back.

forunnin

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2015, 11:03:37 AM »
Very nice!!!  They look great!

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2015, 05:47:13 PM »
Well, the air suspension finally bit the dust. Couldn't find the leak but I'm fairly certain that it was a bad connection and not the air springs themselves.
Either way, it was an opportunity to upgrade a system that has a finite life span and could potentially leave me stranded somewhere.

I picked up a set of long travel metal tech springs from the fj cruiser forums that had minimal miles.
Then ordered a set of the corresponding long travel icon shocks and extended brake lines.
I still have the stock lower control arms and the sway bar connected, but the travel and ride quality is 100x what it was before.
Articulation even with stock arms and sway bar connected is pretty substantial over stock.
Here is a picture of the air springs and shocks removed:

I ended up removing the compressor, diaphragm, and all other lines associated with the system.
The only thing left is to figure out how to get the light on my dash to stop blinking.
It's recommended to unplug the air suspension computer harness, but when I do, my check engine light/vsc lights come on. Still trying to find the answer.

Fun fact ab installing the long travel kit on the GX:
Metal Tech recommends installing a 3" bump stop extension to compensate for the longer shock body to limit up travel and damage of the shock.
The GX bump stops are already atleast 2 1/2 to 3" longer than the fj or 4Runner.
When test fitting the shocks and cycling them to look for clearance issues, the stock GX bump actually begins to make contact with the axel with 1 1/2 -2 inches of the shock shaft showing.
In my not so expert opinion, this negates the reasoning behind installing bump stop extensions.

I also did not install the upper spring isolator a that come on the stock suspension. They are the cone like piece of rubber that acts like a damper if the spring is compressed to the point of impact.
I had some industrial rubber sheeting laying around that I used on some roof rack mounts and cut them into a shape roughly larger than the top spring diameter. Then slipped them above the spring so there was no metal/metal contact between the spring and frame.

I don't have any pictures of it installed, but will post pictures this evening.
My he only thing left to complete the rear would be a set of upper and lower control arms.

forunnin

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2015, 11:07:00 AM »
Awesome!!!  Simple is always better, in my opinion, and coil springs are a lot more simple than an air suspension!  Glad to hear it rides and articulates better!

Slaw ninja

• Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2015, 12:43:43 AM »
All very nice...I just picked up an LX last Friday, and the build begins. Text me if you get a moment...I had some questions about mounting the RTT to the stock roof rack. Also am curious about AHC sensor lift.
Thx!
RON
"Where we're going, we don't need roads." -Doc Brown, 1985

2009 JK Rubicon Unlimited

foo.c

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2017, 10:08:44 AM »
I know this is old, but I think the air ride system in my wife's GX470 has bit the dust and I'm thinking about converting it to coils. Did you ever get the light off?