Author Topic: Lexus GX470 (Prado Grande)  (Read 20585 times)

ElRob

• View Profile
Re: Lexus GX470 (Prado Grande)
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 11:26:04 AM »
Actually I'm getting one from southern style speed. He is in Baton Rouge and will color match it.
Should be nice and clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foo.c

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2014, 09:00:41 PM »
My wife just bought one of these today so I went back and read your thread. Nice build.

I think we're going to keep her's stock for a good while. I'll be doing the timing belt soon.

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2014, 08:13:44 AM »
I'd say this is a pretty significant update.

My bumper finally made it. Kevin at Southern Style Speed did a phenomenal job building it and I couldn't be happier.
This is version 3 of his original design and it really shows. Lexus paint color to match.
Now only missing some lights/winch/cb.
Now on to the goods:

Fog lights are wired into factory switch, and there are some splash guards that still need to be installed.
Needless to say I'm impressed.  Well worth the wait.

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 07:13:53 AM »
Slick.

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 05:27:34 PM »
Now completed with splash guards.

agentsteg

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2014, 11:32:53 PM »
Looks good man!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

forunnin

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2014, 12:39:15 PM »
Man, that is an awesome rig!!!  Love it!

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2014, 09:18:51 PM »
Thanks for the compliments!
Looking forward to some new pinstriping as soon as fall gets here!
She's almost too pretty.

OutdoorX4

• View Profile
    • OutdoorX4 - Promoting Responsible 4x4 Adventure Travel & Outdoor Recreation
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2014, 10:18:55 AM »
What a fantastic looking truck!  I, too, am currently in the market as our Jeep crapped out recently.  I'm looking at the GX470 as a replacement.  Please keep posting pics and any tips, etc on the vehicle search.  Cheers!

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2014, 03:34:26 PM »
What a fantastic looking truck!  I, too, am currently in the market as our Jeep crapped out recently.  I'm looking at the GX470 as a replacement.  Please keep posting pics and any tips, etc on the vehicle search.  Cheers!

Well, looks like I've been away for some time since I just noticed this. A career change is in the works, so I've been holding off on any trips and modifications until things become more concrete. My apologies for being absent.

Just changed the oil and rotated tires. Now close to 130k.
Due to my own stupidity, I now have minor gasket leaks at both front seals. One drip a day maybe. Aggravating, but not enough for me to want to pull the cv's.

Ive been debating changing the plugs, but my gas mileage is the same as when I bought it, and really see no reason to do so. Anyone have experience with the 2UZ on this?

Im also realizing how crappy the rear suspension rides compared to the front. Over-inflated airbags and over extended oem shocks only work for so long. Looks like coils and extended shocks will be coming for Christmas. Probably go with Ironman to match the front.

As much as I want to keep building this rig, being a fully functional daily driver is priority numero uno.

I keep waiting to get rear ended so I can finally put on a rear bumper/tire carrier.  O:-)

Brushogger

• View Profile
Lexus GX470 (Prado Grande)
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2014, 12:04:21 PM »
I've got the iron man constant load springs and foam cell shocks on the rear of the fj and love them.  They are perfect when loaded for a trip, and not rough when unloaded.   Also doesn't add much rake when unloaded.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 12:09:51 PM by Brushogger »
"I want to be a hero member just like Jayston and Scott!"

Boycott Show Low Arizona, the photo camera speed trap capital of the world!

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2014, 01:32:53 PM »
The more I look at it, I'm starting to lean toward the icon overland springs and long travel shocks. Of course, then I might as well upgrade rear links as well to take full advantage.
Either way, I have to do something ab the lower links, they really are rather weak and I would feel much more comfortable with something a little more beefy under there.

Is anyone not running a front sway bar on a V8 4runner or gx470? I know my front end is much stiffer than stock with the Heavy OME setup, but articulation is pretty limited. due to the sway bar.

Kole

• Route Accesible
  • OOR14 Team: Mud Sweat and Beers
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2014, 11:44:12 AM »
I know I don't have the weight of a v8 but I'm a lot narrower and have been without swaybar for a few years now. i don't miss it but it does take a lighter touch when driving. Doesn't bother me at all but i do warn my wife any time she drives to slow down on those tall ass dallas overpasses.
-Kole
2003 Tacoma
OOR14 Team: Mud Sweat and Beers

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2015, 08:35:37 AM »

I know I don't have the weight of a v8 but I'm a lot narrower and have been without swaybar for a few years now. i don't miss it but it does take a lighter touch when driving. Doesn't bother me at all but i do warn my wife any time she drives to slow down on those tall ass dallas overpasses.
I think I'll remove it. Should allow a smoother ride up front.

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2015, 08:39:59 AM »
Picked up an M8000 for a great price. Except for the faded sticker, the internals and solenoid look and work like new. Definitely well cared for.
I was told it came of a 60 in AZ. The current owner removed it when he bought the truck 3 years ago.

Fairlead is on order as well as synthetic rope. It's not powered in the picture.

Tucks in real nice.