Author Topic: Mud Terrain or All Terrain for NW Arkansas?  (Read 474 times)

mudmud

• View Profile
Mud Terrain or All Terrain for NW Arkansas?
« on: January 13, 2017, 10:46:24 AM »
I just got a new 98 4runner (My first 4R and I love it already) and she needs some new shoes. I'm brand new to overlanding but super interested in getting out and exploring where most can't. My question is simply: What tires are recommended for this area? My rig is also my primary vehicle, so it will see mostly highway miles. I work from home so I don't drive much, but still, it'll see more highway than trail. I was looking at the BFG KO2s which look super gnarly and tough, but if they won't give me traction on the trails around here, I won't waste my money.

Looking forward to any advice and hopefully meeting up with some of you guys this year!

arveetek

• View Profile
Re: Mud Terrain or All Terrain for NW Arkansas?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 02:10:24 PM »
It really boils down to personal preference.  I've run all three types of tires on my rig:

1. Highway tread, before I got into off-roading with my Tahoe
2. Mud Terrains, great for off-roading, not so much for daily driving
3. All Terrains, good mix of both off-road and daily driving

The Mud Terrains are perfect for a rig that sees some serious off-road trails, and very little highway driving.  There are three problems I experienced with M/T's: short tread life, noise, and balancing.  Naturally, the more aggressive the tread, the shorter the life span, and the harder to keep balanced.  Although various M/T tread patterns vary, you can expect M/T's to be noisy, and to grow even noisier and more out of balance with age.

The All Terrains help to bridge that gap for a rig that sees less time off-road than on the highway.  While performance in the mud will suffer, generally speaking, a good A/T will get you where you need to go 90% of the time when compared to a good M/T.  A good A/T will have long tread life, little to no noise, and remain smooth and balanced.

I grew tired of the noise and shimmy of my M/T's, and happily replaced them when they wore out with the BFG KO2's .  I love the KO2's..... they're quiet, long-lasting, smooth, and still work great for the few weekends I actually get to go off-road.

So, in short: M/T's for a more dedicated off-road rig that doesn't see much highway use, and A/T's for a daily driver that sees a lot of highway travel and some periodic off-road use.

There are also a lot more "hybrid" tires on the market today that blur the line between M/T's and A/T's making for a lot of good choices.

Of course, some folks will always stick with M/T's no matter what, but again, a lot of it boils down to personal preference and driving styles and conditions.

Casey
1995 Chevy Tahoe 2 door, 6.5L turbo diesel, 4L80E auto, NV241, 3.42's, Eaton ADL in rear, 285/75R16 BFG TA K02's on Toyota steelies, Roadmaster Active Suspension in rear, 1" crank in front, Westin brush guard

foo.c

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 01:08:25 PM »
What size?

The reason I ask is that if you can run a 255/75/17 you can find cheap takeoffs from someone upgrading their new Rubicon. I have a set of 5 in my garage that I bought with wheels and everything for $600. I will probably sell the wheels for $100-200 at some point.

They are the original BFG KM mud tire and in that size are not bad at all on the highway. I have had louder all terrain tires.

mudmud

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 01:51:04 PM »
Sorry for the delay in replying, guys. I didn't get an email notification of your replies for some reason.

The more I look into available options and what I ultimately want to do (Forest roads, primitive camping), the more it seems like A/Ts are the way to go for my needs.

As for what size, I have stock suspension and wheels right now, so the largest I can fit is 265/75/16 without rubbing.