Author Topic: Lexus GX470 (Prado Grande)  (Read 19441 times)

ElRob

• View Profile
Lexus GX470 (Prado Grande)
« on: May 10, 2013, 01:24:57 PM »
Year: 2003
Make: Lexus
Model: GX470

I sold my 07 FJ Cruiser earlier this year, and picked up the GX to fill the void. For those of you that are not Land Cruiser savvy, the GX is a Toyota Prado 120 in the rest of the world, save a few changes to the grill and bumper.
Since it is based on the 120 series, it shares the same suspension setup as the 4runner and FJ Cruiser as well. This makes modifying the suspension rather easy. The key difference is the rear suspension, which is an auto leveling rear suspension.
The other difference is the engine. The GX uses the same 2UZ motor found in the V8 4th gen 4runner and the Land Cruiser 100 Series (LX470)

The main reason for purchasing this vehicle was the ability to cary additional passengers on longer trips, while the FJ is a great platform and tremendously capable, it lacks room in the back seat for long trips. Specifically lacking room for a rear facing car seat.
The GX also has a larger fuel tank (24 gal) compared to the FJ (19 gal) all the while retaining the same fuel mileage.
It also features the same 4wd system as the land cruiser 100 series (although some say better) utilizing the renowned Toyota TRAC system.
So enough of the background, now onto the build...

This is how she sat when I brought her home. Screaming soccer mom. Man the ride was so smooth.

The next move was to get the front end lifted to accommodate larger tires. After speaking with the guys at Sierra Expeditions, I ordered a set of Ironman springs and shocks of the "B" rating.

After this, the move was to bigger tires. Having good luck with Treadwright in the past, I decided to go with the TW Warden in 285/70r17.

I have an Indel B fridge mounted in the back wired directly to an optima yellowtop under the hood.
Also just received a set of ARB skids to protect the bottom side from TRDParts4U. Pics and installation will be happening this weekend.

That picture was taken on the HWM trip. And is how she shits today.

Future plans include front and rear bumpers, winch, cargo barrier with rear storage configuration, and LED interior lights.

Stay tuned...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 01:51:55 PM by ElRob »

ElRob

• View Profile
Re: Lexus GX470 (Prado Grande)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 01:54:23 PM »
A few pics from the HWM trip. Courtesy of Scott.

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 11:02:37 AM »
Last weekend I decided that since I would have to remove the factory tin skids in order to fit the new ARB ones,  I might as well go ahead and change the oil. I have run Mobil 1 in my last 3 vehicles and have been pleased with the performance it offers. So, naturally I figured that I might as well switch the diffs over to Mobil 1 as well.
The lexus service history noted that the diff fluid was changed back at 30k and with 115k on the clock, plus a trip through some high water (breathers extended) in the last month, I wanted to see how they held up as well as the condition of the oil.
To my surprise, the diff oil looked nearly new. It was slightly darker than new oil, but in very good shape. There were fine shavings caught by the drain bolt magnet, but that is normal. No large metal pieces from abnormal wear. Also, no water.
Unless I am confident that I have water in my diffs, or start hauling a lot, I do not see the need to change the fluid again for another 80k.

These are pictures of the drain bolts:
Before

After

After all the mess was cleaned up, I installed the ARB skids. The install was very straightforward and as usual, ARB provides a great installation manual to make the process very easy.
These are by no means "rock crawling" skids, but they are mean to protect the vitals underneath your vehicle should you happen to encounter an obstacle that could cause damage. They do not provide the same coverage as budbuilt or man-a-fre, but they are not designed to. From what I can tell, they look very similar in design to the ASFIR skids that others have used on the GX.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 11:08:14 AM by ElRob »

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 11:09:12 AM »

The only problem I had was the transfer case skid. It is not a full skid like many of the other manufacturers, but rather is of the same design that of the stock one, only made out of thick material. The mounting bolts did not match up correctly so I will have to do some rearranging of mounting points. Other than that, everything lined up correctly and tight, no rattling.

My next purchase for underbody protection will be a fuel tank skid. The GX's tank hangs rather low and could possibly be in danger of damage at some point.

My next project will be a front bumper and slider. Shrockworks has a great slider design that clamps "around" the frame rather than bolting or welding. The only drawback is the price.
Options for the front bumper I have narrowed down to Ironman or ARB. My original plan was to go with a local guy who makes them for the GX, but the price (while validated) is just a little too much for me to spend at this time.

ScottBrownAdventurer

• View Profile
    • Lifestyles In Light- Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 11:20:24 AM »
The skids look good, but be sure to replace the allen bolts that are hanging down (as seen in the first pic) with typical hex head or dome head allen screws. Also, I'd avoid stainless as the metal is softer and can gaul/round out easily.
Overland Guide and Photographer
1995 Mitsubishi Montero
1988 Toyota Landcruiser FJ62
1995 Honda XR650L

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 03:09:55 PM »
Will do. That was one of the first things I noticed

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 11:53:50 AM »
Mounted up the awning last night. Used some metal bracing and a few bolts with lock nuts and now sits pretty sturdy. Looking forward to getting some use this summer.

With mosquito net.

Nigel Caffiene

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 04:04:11 PM »
Very Cool!!! Please do continue...

bigwapitijohnny

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 11:21:43 AM »
Mounted up the awning last night. Used some metal bracing and a few bolts with lock nuts and now sits pretty sturdy. Looking forward to getting some use this summer.

With mosquito net.

Awning is looking good! Enjoy it! Glad it went to a good home and will be used a lot. 

Regards,

BWJ
2011 Toyota Tundra / EXO front & rear bumper with tire carrier / Toytec & OME / Rigid Industries / Warn / ARB / BajaRack / SnugTop /

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 02:45:20 PM »
Little update. Found some 4runner trail wheels that I couldn't pass. Now I don't have to hide the chrome with plastidip. Takes a little to get used to. But with the new offset, I should be able to remove the front wheel spacers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kole

• Route Accesible
  • OOR14 Team: Mud Sweat and Beers
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 02:51:00 PM »
Nice! Those look way better than the chrome  >:D
-Kole
2003 Tacoma
OOR14 Team: Mud Sweat and Beers

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 09:21:41 AM »
Scott asked me to post these. Pictures of the adjustable ride height.

Normal (set by me for larger tires)

Low

High

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 07:30:24 AM »
I like that it retains the Toyota 6 lug.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 09:21:55 AM by Jayston »

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 10:08:29 AM »
I agree Jayston. Makes switching wheels easy.

Anyone notice the damage to the passenger from fender/bumper cover?
Had a nice 17 y/o girl in a brand new red civic decide to pull out of a parking lot into me.
Looks like I'll be getting a new bumper!!!
Stay tuned!

topgun15v

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 09:03:36 PM »
Rob, looking good man, keep us posted on the bumper, I believe the Iron Mans will fit with few modifications. 
Current:2014 Taco 4x4 TRD Off-Road
Past: 2008 FJC 4x4 TRD Off-Road