Author Topic: When rubber meets the dirt.  (Read 7193 times)

Adamh1977

• View Profile
Re: When rubber meets the dirt.
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 09:31:43 PM »
I got a good price on some kenda klever mt's has anybody had good luck out off them

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 11:10:02 PM »
Yep, Arvetek and myself both have a set and both are doing well. The 285/75 is a 3 ply sidewall, 235/85 is a 2 ply
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 11:37:45 PM by Jayston »

arveetek

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2014, 10:07:42 AM »
I got a good price on some kenda klever mt's has anybody had good luck out off them

Yes!  I love mine!  I've got over 20K miles on them right now, and they do great in all conditions.  When I finally wear these out, I'm pretty convinced I'll get another set.

Here's a review I've done on mine:

http://overlandguild.org/index.php?topic=129.0

I need to update it again soon.

Casey
1995 Chevy Tahoe 2 door, 6.5L turbo diesel, 4L80E auto, NV241, 3.42's, Eaton ADL in rear, 285/75R16 BFG TA K02's on Toyota steelies, Roadmaster Active Suspension in rear, 1" crank in front, Westin brush guard

MOguy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 08:45:19 AM »
I have had old school MTRs, great on the rocks and perfect when I lived in Southern CA.  Moved to MO and the old school MTRs where not very good on wet slippery stuff.  I got some TrXus MT that were great off road and fine on road, surprisingly good in the snow, packed and deeper, but couldn't balance them.  I now have super swampers bias ply, great traction, some noise, balance with 10 oz of dyna beads.
2001 Wrangler lifted, 34X10.50 Super Swampers, locked, winch, belly up this and that.

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2015, 12:18:22 PM »
Treadwright Warden 285/70R17
I've been running these tires since March 2013. Roughly 15k on them and they have held up great. I rotate every 5k and the noise is minimal, but that is partially due to Lexus sound dampening. I have driven through the Arkansas National Forests, the Smoky Mountains, and the Rockies without an issue.
Tread life is probably somewhere around 75% and they seem to be wearing very evenly.
Biggest drawback to these are the weight, lots of rubber. My highway mpg if kept to 70 hovers close to 18 and city is more like 12-14.
Overall I have been happy with these tires especially for the price.
My driving is currently 99% road and that would be the only reason that I will more than likely not buy another set of these.

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2015, 12:20:12 PM »
Does anyone have info on the Cooper STT? This is looking like a good candidate for my Hilux build.
Also, the Falken Wildpeak A/T is more than likely the next candidate for the GX, any opinions there?

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2015, 12:36:48 PM »
The the stt MT, st Maxx or old STT?

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2015, 12:38:06 PM »
I'm not big on the Falken, they lose a good amount of their factory siping at about 50% tread. A better option for an at  is the cooper at3.

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2015, 01:47:38 PM »

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2015, 06:42:48 PM »
I like them. Some people complain about their carcass being weak but I've yet to see that. Have you seen the new master craft courser  mxt?

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2015, 06:40:29 AM »
Funny you say that, those are the two tires I've been looking at most recently. Only thing that would probably persuade me either way would be weight. Which I have not spec'd out. But I would imagine there may not be a significant difference.
That's the main reason I won't be going with TW on my little 20r.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foo.c

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2015, 09:26:50 AM »
My observations on the KM2 in 35x12.5x17

They flat spot if parked more than 2-3 days. Goes away after a couple of miles.
Street traction goes down after the first 15k miles, especially in the rain.
Offroad traction has been excellent on dirt, rock, gravel.
They really ball up in the black gumbo (mud) we have in Central TX, but that could just be because I have a hard time keeping them cleaned out with my manual trans.

I have to update this. I put on some new OEM takeoffs this weekend, and I don't think I am going back to KM2's again, at least on a daily driver.

I don't know if I got a bad set, but after 30k miles the KM2s got to a point where they just wouldn't balance anymore. Tons of tread life left, but I am only using this set offroad from now on.

New shoes:

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2015, 05:11:21 PM »
I had a similar problem from mine. On the st Maxx now and actually miss my KM2s. Thinking some good year mtrs next.

Jnev1

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2015, 07:41:34 PM »
I have the Mastercraft MXT on one of my Jeeps currently.  So far I have nothing but good things to say about them. However, as they wear there is a noticeable drone to them on the road.  Which I don't mind. It's a jeep not a Cadillac.  I have already sliced the tread on one due to rock crawling.  Which is common for me. 
The other one has Firestone Destination MT on it. They are about to the end of their life. They are still round and wearing evenly. I love those tires. Except for icy conditions.  They didn't give me any hint of loss of traction until I was 360 degrees in the median.  By comparison the MTX did a very impressive job this winter and I stayed in 2wd.  I did slice a Destination MT on a rock when new, but nowhere near as bad as I did one of the MXTs.  Another one is currently running the Kendra Klever MT.  I'm actually surprised so far by this tire. Traction is good.  Rides good, and initially appears to be a quality tire despite the cheap price. However,  it's not a MTR Kevlar. Hope this helps out.
94' XJ, 05' TJ, 95' XJ,

EJ

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2016, 09:39:37 AM »
Bump

It's new tire time for the Frontier, the Kenda MT's that I've been running are starting to cup bad.

I'm pretty much set on 255 85/16's. Was kind of torn between KM2's and the Toyo MT's but then I saw the Dick Cepeck Extreme Country's come in this size as well and are quite a bit lighter. Anybody have any experience with these?   
2005 Nissan Frontier Nismo 4x4 Crew Cab: Full OME suspension, 32" Kenda MT's, ARB bullbar bumper, P&P rock sliders, snorkel, softopper .