Author Topic: SE NM summer 2014  (Read 905 times)

Mr. Leary

• View Profile
SE NM summer 2014
« on: August 07, 2014, 10:48:31 PM »
I took the family to southeastern New Mexico for our first overland trip in the "Mothership," my new rig.  I had taken it on a couple soft roads and short camping trips, but this was the first real shake down run.

It got some trail time in the northern reaches of the Guadalupe Mountains, before we headed up the ridge, as you can see from my epic poser shot.

We stopped for lunch and to let the critter play for a while, then traveled on.  It took a while to find a good spot to camp.  The area is well known for thunderstorms in early summer, and that's exactly what we got.  After an almost sleepless night and one heck of a light show, we crawled out of the tent to this.

We saw a cloud bank rolling in, which looked more ominous the closer it got.

Sent from a mud puddle

Mr. Leary

• View Profile
Re: SE NM summer 2014
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 10:53:55 PM »
We hurried to pick up camp, as we were expecting a storm.  It turned out to be advection fog... How often do you see that in the middle of the desert?

We drove on through the soup, occasionally catching glimpses of the valley below.  When the time came to descend from the ridge, we were treated to some great views of the fog spilling down into the valley.

Sent from a mud puddle

Mr. Leary

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 11:14:23 PM »
I decided to spin up the big girl on some dirt roads on the way to Timberon.  I wasn't expecting much, but was very pleasantly surprised.  Of course, power wasn't a problem, but I wasn't expecting a solid axle truck with so much tonnage to handle so well at speed.  We made good time, refueled, and rejoined pavement at the southern end of the sunspot highway.

In Cloudcroft, Mayfest was in full swing.  We wandered around, checked out the shops, and looked at / inquired about real estate (we are thinking about buying a vacation / rental property out there).

The original plan was to back country camp in La Luz Canyon and visit White Sands, but we decided to head straight up to Ruidoso.  I haven't been there since I was a kid.  It was quite different then I remember, in a generally bad way, but we found a hole in the wall Mexican restaurant which made it all better.  Possibly the best Mexican food I have ever had.  We camped in the national forest nearby.

In the morning, we packed up and headed for Roswell.  The wife wanted to visit the UFO museum.  We came, we saw, we ate (more great Mexican food), then headed east towards Texas.  A much needed trip with my girls, and a welcome respite from a killer work schedule this spring.

A parting shot, taken in the northern Guadalupe Mountains.  I'll be back, hopefully soon!

Sent from a mud puddle
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 11:21:31 PM by Mr. Leary »

codertimt

• Person who does computery stuff.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 11:20:41 PM »
Nice...and I think my 100 it 'too big'...

Love this shot for some reason.  Glad it didn't end up dumping on you...

foo.c

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 09:08:35 AM »
Yeah, Ruidoso has changed for the worse. My grandparents moved there in the late 80's, so I have some memories of "old" Ruidoso.

I blame the yuppies.

arveetek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 07:35:33 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Mike!  The pics of the fog rolling in are spectacular.

Casey
1995 Chevy Tahoe 2 door, 6.5L turbo diesel, 4L80E auto, NV241, 3.42's, Eaton ADL in rear, 285/75R16 BFG TA K02's on Toyota steelies, Roadmaster Active Suspension in rear, 1" crank in front, Westin brush guard