Author Topic: Does anyone else here backpack?  (Read 841 times)

Ardavis

• View Profile
Does anyone else here backpack?
« on: July 31, 2014, 05:54:24 PM »
My wife and I love backpacking and we are ready for the fall to hit the ground again. If you don't and you would like to its a good excuse to buy ultralight small packable gear for your rig.

My wife and I just did a large portion of eagle rock loop and had a great time even after being curled up in hammocks under a tarp shelter during a nighttime thunderstormů..and me walking 17 miles with a minor fracture in my foot.

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone else here backpack?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 10:14:51 PM »
Yep. I've done over 100 miles in the Grand Canyon. Countless on the BRT and OHT. 5 days in the smokies. My best friend is on the PCT right now. 24 miles a day until September. Super jealous.

Mr. Leary

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 09:29:59 PM »
I've always been more of a backpacker than a wheeler.  I've backpacked in northern NM, Colorado, the Sierras, Adirondacks, Ouachitas, Guadalupes, sections of the AT in Maine and Georgia, and did 65 miles of the OHT last year (the plan was to through hike, but my buddy broke his ankle at mile 62).  My longest single stretch was 224 miles (through hike of the OT in 2007). With any luck, I'll be backpacking Seven Lakes Loop in Olympic National Park in September.

It's the best way to fill up the soul, period.

Sent from a mud puddle

Mr. Leary

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 09:32:47 PM »
Eagle rock loop is a great hike, and there are lots of good hikes in the area.  It keeps me coming back because it's a little different every time.  Amazing what difference the seasons make when hiking in Arkansas.

Sent from a mud puddle

Expedition Warrior

• Glory to God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 08:51:04 AM »
Agreed, eagle rock loop is my favorite! It's a perfect fall trip, heading there this weekend. Sure wish they would open Albert Pike again
Basic '14 jeep jku
33's
2.5 lift

Mr. Leary

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 07:50:40 PM »
I heard it opened.  Looking forward to going back up there.  Last time it was to help when all those people died.

Dr. Conrwallis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 03:00:42 PM »
I'm big into backpacking. I would say backpacking is actually what somewhat led me to overlanding. I plan to combine both my previous and new found addictions here soon (perhaps I'll call it "overpacking?") by bringing a good day pack along on my adventures. The goal with my truck is to be able to be self sustaining so that if I arrive at a good destination, I can park the rig for a day or two and venture off into the woods for some additional exploring or even hunting (where legal of course).

simpleman909

• View Profile
Does anyone else here backpack?
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 09:20:03 PM »
I guess I'd fall into beginner back packer. My buddy and I do over nighters sometimes but it's usually to the same place. We built ourselves a little camp spot and pack in only what we need for the night.

From the backside

My wife and I do day hikes as often as we can. I know it's not exactly backpacking but we love the out doors. I do carry a pack though. Lol

You better watch where you're going and remember where you been.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 09:23:38 PM by simpleman909 »

anything