Author Topic: Ozark Overland Rally: Fall 2014  (Read 7803 times)

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Ozark Overland Rally: Fall 2014
« on: July 01, 2014, 09:33:03 AM »
Thats right... The Ozark Overland Rally is happening again! October 31st - November 1st.

This event is focused on getting out and exploring!

The Ozark Overland Rally takes place in the Ozark National Forest. The National Forest envelops most of the northwest section quadrant of Arkansas. To the north you have the Buffalo River - Our nations first National River - and Mark Twain National Forest. To the south, the Arkansas River Valley, Ouachita National Forest and Hot Springs National Park. The western side of the National Forest is bordered by the Boston Mountains and several State Parks. The Eastern side will lead you to Wooly Hollow State Park and eventually the Mississippi River Basin (after lots of farm land!).

WE'VE IMPROVED THE RALLY THIS TIME AROUND, TAKING COMPETITOR SUGGESTIONS AND IMPLEMENTING THEM INTO THE FALL OOR. OUR BIGGEST CHANGE COMES IN THE FORM OF DISTANCE - COMPETITORS WILL FACE EACH OTHER USING THEIR WIT AND DRIVING SKILL AS OPPOSED TO SPEED. YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO VISIT ALL CHECKPOINTS IN THE SHORTEST, MOST DIRECT METHOD WHILE MAXIMIZING DIRT EXPOSURE AND MINIMIZING PAVEMENT USAGE.

This event is free, thanks to the wonderful support of our volunteers, but seats are limited! 52 spots are still available. Additional spots may become available but no guarantees! Please honor your commitment!

Follow a Land Cruiser as he completes much of what you can expect on the OOR!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=4zMvkXXhOPM&app=desktop

Again - Group photos in front of all checkpoints are a requirement. Only one time stamp is needed this time around, it is the starting checkpoint and your odometer together. Please bring a digital media device that we can view photos off of. Cell phones and digital cameras are the easiest. If you intend to use a GoPro, please bring a device to put your photos onto before the deadline.

We will take the mileage off of the odometer of two vehicles on your team in the starting checkpoint photo. We will then subtract it from your final mileage when your entire team completes the final checkpoint. Due to possible inaccuracy of older Odometers, your final mileage will be an average of the two numbers.

This remains a friendly competition - In keeping with that spirit all prizes will have very little monetary value. With that said... Who wants to dethrone the current trophy holders?

Tentative Itinerary:
Thursday, October 30th - Teams will receive checkpoints via Email.
Friday, October 31st - Teams are encouraged to start the Rally. A photo of your Odometer will be required with the starting checkpoint in the background.
Saturday, November 1st - Teams are required to reach a certain checkpoint and check in with me. Rally Continues.
Sunday, November 2nd @ 12:00PM (Noon) - All teams must be across finish line. Finish line location TBD.
Sunday, November 2nd @ 1:00PM - Awards and closing remarks.

Weather is a wildcard. We normally have a moist fall, water levels can be an issue. We recommend you walk each crossing before committing to it. This may look fun and exciting, but it is incredibly dangerous and can lead to some horrible consequences. We know this first hand. Turn around, don't drown.

A video of a crossing during a relatively dry spring.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ9NTtpIrhE
Other changes:

We will list 'recommended group campsite' coordinates for areas known to have large, open campsites. We will not all fit on one campsite. I intend to list it in an area with several other nice campsites nearby as well for those who enjoy the fellowship but like sleeping away from their neighbor.

New classes!

Adventure Class: Competitors of this class will be given a list of checkpoints that they are required to navigate to. These checkpoints are accessible by a variety of vehicles, though the minimum rules are to be followed.

Challenge Class: Competitors are given the the same list of checkpoints as the Adventure class and then an additional list of challenge coordinates. While these additional coordinates are not a checkpoint, they are a required part of the route.

Example video of obstacle in Challenge class (some language from driver excitement):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-kRoYuYjLg

(Also, It appears I am in the 'crush zone' if the vehicle were to roll over. Though it appears that way, a large group of trees prevented any such action, unless the truck takes 5 good sized trees first. Then I'm screwed.)

Team Structure:
6 people per team (drivers, children, undead, etc.)
2 vehicle minimum, 4 vehicle maximum per team

Equipment:

Vehicle (Every vehicle entered)
Required for all competitors:
Due to past experiences BOTH front AND rear FRAME mounted recovery points will be required. Class IV+ 2" receiver hitches will substitute for rear recovery points. This is a requirement that will NOT be overlooked.
Working Odometer
Operating AWD or four wheel drive system
Full size spare tire
Tagged, insured, and highway legal (and highway operable)
Vehicle in reliable condition
Failure to meet these simple requirements will lead to immediate disqualification.

Recommended additional items for Challenge class:
33" tire with reasonable tread depth OR 31" tires and a rear differential locker/Traction Control
Extended breathers
Limb risers

Team (As a team)
Required:
1x recovery strap rated for heaviest vehicle (20-30ft)
Map (Paper or electronic)
Team captain be present at the team captains meeting
Team present at their start time on the day of the event

Recommended:
1x working winch and related equipment rated for heaviest vehicle.
1x tree saver
Navigation Software that utilizes the "USForest Service 201X Map" (Back Country Navigator was used for the planning of this, though we hear Gaia for Ipad works well with that map)
Good attitudes

Personal (For competitors)
Required:
Camping (A method to sleep, whether it be hammock, tent, or in your rig.)
Eating (A method of sustaining yourself and your dependents)
Hydration (A method of providing drinkable water to yourself and your dependents)
Hygiene
Good luck charms

RULES:

Tread Lightly and Leave No Trace principles will be followed, any team found to stray from these for non-emergency purposes will be disqualified.
All State, Local, and Federal laws are to be followed (I.E. No alcohol and operating a motor vehicle, fire bans, highway legal vehicles, chainsaws, etc.)

www.lnt.org
www.treadlightly.org
www.fs.fed.us

Other things of interest:

Listen to volunteers - If they say don't do something... please refrain from doing it.
Recovery services provided ONLY at the discretion of an Official during day light hours.
You are required to be back at basecamp by 12:00 PM (Noon) on the last day of the Rally. Failure to arrive by 12:00 PM results in a DNF.

You can find our more information at www.overlandchallengeseries.com

And if the photo looks professional - its because it is. Check out Scott Brown at lifestylesinlight.com for more awesome adventure photography!

52 spots remain!

Any questions contact us:
https://www.facebook.com/OverlandChallengeSeries/
overlandguild@gmail.com
or for those who like chatting it up...
(978) 712-XPLR
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 10:20:24 AM by Jayston »

Brushogger

• View Profile
Re: Ozark Overland Rally: Fall 2014
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 10:23:52 AM »
Sounds like a great plan Jayston!   We will be there. 
"I want to be a hero member just like Jayston and Scott!"

Boycott Show Low Arizona, the photo camera speed trap capital of the world!

CodyY

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 11:08:23 AM »
In again.

For the win.
Team GO.

Kole

• Route Accesible
  • OOR14 Team: Mud Sweat and Beers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 09:53:24 AM »
I'm in, checking with the team to get a headcount.
-Kole
2003 Tacoma
OOR14 Team: Mud Sweat and Beers

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 12:43:23 PM »
Guess I need to make a decision soon on this. Really hoping to make this one since work interfered last time.
Double and triple checking dates before I commit.
Maybe I can get the Hilux ready in time

adam12_4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 06:17:00 PM »
Jayston planning on coming to volunteer and help .
2007 FJC  ARB with 9000 winch Demello Hybrd sliders Snorkle 285/75/17 MTR & stuff

Mr. Leary

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 04:34:48 PM »
I'm not in to compete, but I can  tentatively say that I'll be in the area that weekend, meaning I'll be hitting certain regional highlights that will "probably" be along the route... Not that I'll be a volunteer that has to be counted in the quota or anything... Just happen to be nearby... Yeah.  ;-)

Sent from a mud puddle

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 09:44:20 PM »
Moving through some more ideas!

Idea 1)I've gotten feedback that some want a more Vermont Overland Trophy style event. I can do this - but no complaining when you lose half your paint job on a tree that you swear "wasn't there a few feet ago!".

Idea 2)People want a group camp aside from Byrds. This isn't as easy as one would think - finding campsites large enough to settle 75 people in is hard. Finding one the weekend before deer season is impossible!  If I did this we would have "A" camp and "B" camp. They will be predetermined and each group would be given coordinates for their specific camp.

What say the populous?

xjintx

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 06:22:56 AM »
Moving through some more ideas!

Idea 1)I've gotten feedback that some want a more Vermont Overland Trophy style event. I can do this - but no complaining when you lose half your paint job on a tree that you swear "wasn't there a few feet ago!".

Idea 2)People want a group camp aside from Byrds. This isn't as easy as one would think - finding campsites large enough to settle 75 people in is hard. Finding one the weekend before deer season is impossible!  If I did this we would have "A" camp and "B" camp. They will be predetermined and each group would be given coordinates for their specific camp.

What say the populous?

I like the idea of a combined remote camping area but understand the difficulties. I personally like Byrds as my wife like the facilities and I want to paddle this year. that said I am up for remote or Byrds I will enjoy either.

Kole

• Route Accesible
  • OOR14 Team: Mud Sweat and Beers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 09:25:44 AM »
1) I, as well as many I know will be driving our daily driver. I'd love to do a harder  course when I have a dedicated trail rig some day, but I need to be able to drive home.

2) Part of the lour and the challenge is having to find our own place to camp. Our team had a blast last year camping remotely with just our small group. I'm not sure I would enjoy being shoehorned into a camp site with a bunch of other rigs and being so close that I can hear everyone else snoring.

Now with that said, maybe for those who want to be more social, there can be a few recommended group camp sites so a few teams can plan to meet up that evening.
-Kole
2003 Tacoma
OOR14 Team: Mud Sweat and Beers

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 10:02:27 AM »
Jut the feedback I was looking for! Excellent.

arveetek

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 03:05:58 PM »
1) I, as well as many I know will be driving our daily driver. I'd love to do a harder  course when I have a dedicated trail rig some day, but I need to be able to drive home.

2) Part of the lour and the challenge is having to find our own place to camp. Our team had a blast last year camping remotely with just our small group. I'm not sure I would enjoy being shoehorned into a camp site with a bunch of other rigs and being so close that I can hear everyone else snoring.

Now with that said, maybe for those who want to be more social, there can be a few recommended group camp sites so a few teams can plan to meet up that evening.

Ditto.

Casey
1995 Chevy Tahoe 2 door, 6.5L turbo diesel, 4L80E auto, NV241, 3.42's, Eaton ADL in rear, 285/75R16 BFG TA K02's on Toyota steelies, Roadmaster Active Suspension in rear, 1" crank in front, Westin brush guard

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 10:58:34 PM »
Okay.

I am adding a 'recommended group campsite' coordinate. I will also offer two rally classes.

Adventure class: Find checkpoints via legal off-highway roads and trails. Pavement is frowned upon, though small portions will be a necessary evil.

Challenge class: You will be required to navigate to the checkpoints using similar methods as the Adventure class. Additional 'challenge' coordinates will be added to the list and to complete the challenge class, you will have to complete all challenges as well.

It should be noted that we have NEVER had a failure related to the challenges that would prevent and individual from driving home. Tires are the most common failure we've dealt with, though rules state to bring a spare. Freak occurrences have happen so be prepared.

Educated driving is key. Know when to winch and when to turn around.

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 10:46:01 AM »
major update to original post.

Razorbackcruiser

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 12:40:17 PM »
There's a good chance that I might be a little bias but those videos are awesome!
1997 Toyota Landcruiser - 3x locked, 4" lift, 315 Toyo MT's, ARB front w/Warn M12000, Ironpig rear w/dual swingouts

anything