Author Topic: 79 Hilux repair/rebuild  (Read 4618 times)

ElRob

• View Profile
Re: 79 Hilux repair/rebuild
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2015, 08:43:52 PM »
So the real work has begun. Since the previous post, I have amassed quite a few parts to keep me going for a while.
New fenders,  brakes (rotors,calipers, extended lines, and MC), front axle knuckle rebuild kits, new bearings, ifs steering box, crossover steering, w56 transmission with new crossmember and skid.
Also tons of smaller parts that will see replacement.
Only things left on the list of parts to get are springs and shocks, which at the present time I'm leaning toward all pro springs.

Now for the progress...
I started by removing the left fender and finding rust on the lower kick panels. No better time to start cutting it out. Here are a few pictures I managed to take.

Piece of kick panel that was removed.

And the patch that was welded in. This photo was taken before the top peice was put in.

I'll move to the driver side floor next. I though I was going to have to remove the entire floor, but the trans tunnel is in good shape, so if possible I'm going to try to keep it.

Sheet metal welding is not my calling, but it's solid and I'll use some seam sealer to close and small holes that I missed.

It feels good to be working on this and I'm going to attempt to update with progress pics. Right now the goal is to have her street able by the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2015, 08:30:01 AM »
Driver side floor pan out.

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2015, 09:00:32 PM »
Little more done tonight. Finished the kick panel/inner fender.
Hopefully sunday I'll get the rest of the floor cut out. Found a few rust spots on the rockers but are repairable rather than replacing the entire thing. Also need to fab some cab body mounts before the floor can go in.

anything