Author Topic: 79 Hilux repair/rebuild  (Read 4880 times)

ElRob

• View Profile
Re: 79 Hilux repair/rebuild
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 09:21:43 PM »
From what I have gathered. 79 front axle uses a different hub style than 80-85. This makes the way that the rotors bolt on different.
And hard to find the correct front rotors. Good info on marlins site. Most people swap hubs to a later model, or swap front axles to a later model.
Let me know if you have an easier way.
In others news, the u pull it here has a w56 trans that I'm thinking ab getting out of an 88.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 11:53:46 PM »
Well... I'm trying to figure Out if i want to sell you the set I have on a shelf here.

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 12:38:06 PM »
Well isn't that sweet!
Ive only found them online used so far for $45 a piece.
Also trail gear has some chromoly ones but they are $$.

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 10:07:17 PM »
that's not a bad price. up here a complete front goes for ~150-350 easy. I had a few Completes but sold them and now wish I had them back!

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 10:57:05 AM »
I may have just found a front axle minus the third. for free! fingers crossed.
also a transfer case. who doesnt need duals?  ;D

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2014, 11:55:54 AM »
I love duals, but as a long distance rig with highway I found them loud. I have a single 4.7 case and find its just as awesome with none of.the.draw backs. The best things you can do are hysteer, 4.7, and lockers. The first version of my old blue truck was that way. Incredibly capable, highway worthy, and 22-25 MPG. After an efi conversion, its night and day. 33" tires strained the motor, but I went to 5.29s and 37s - it was peppy. Now it has 33s and 5.29s and tops out at 60mph but feels like a v12.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 11:57:45 AM by Jayston »

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 10:07:50 AM »
Good to know. ill keep the spare t case around in case this thing becomes trail rig. But the initial plans are to drive it everywhere I go. Ive heard 5.29s and 35s are a sweet spot. So thats where Ill likely end up.
axles are coming out soon for a complete tear down and rebuild. The wife has given me an entire weekend to wrench!

Jayston, did you do the disc brake swap on you blue truck? Based on the front, there cant be much left to salvage on the rear drums, guess ill find out soon enough.

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2014, 06:02:21 PM »
On the front or rear?

On the front I installed
84 FJ60 Rotors
89 v6 4runner calipers/pads
98 4runner booster/master

I left the rear drum. It had the smaller size drums, as compared to an IFS truck, but they seem to work better than my tacoma drums.

My uncles FJ40 had the solid rotor on the front and a drum rear end. We converted the rear to disc using a chevy rotor/caliper kit he bought online. It stops like a sports car.

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2014, 01:20:02 PM »
Rear. There is also a toyota ifs swap for therear that i saw somewhere. Ive got a larger MC sitting in my garage now.

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2014, 02:04:04 PM »
The ifs rear axles have a larger brake setup and are 3" wider.

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2014, 03:07:06 PM »
Correct. I meant ifs calipers and rotors. Not axle. Only reason I would swap axles would be if I found one with an elocker for the right price.
Then I would do the ifs hub swap on the front to match the back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2014, 04:44:02 PM »
not worth the hassle, IMHO. a set of spacers will do the same for less headache. People think the ifs swap gives the width without hurting scrub radius or wheel bearings like a spacer does. They are wrong from my research.

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2014, 08:19:15 AM »
Any progress?

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2014, 10:52:33 AM »
Little to none. Unless you count the battery going dead.
Replacing starter this weekend. Also going to patch holes in the cab so I can have a place to park. Progress pics to come.

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2014, 03:43:08 PM »
Well, since I updated the other thread, figured id oblige here as well.

Not much to report though. Parts pile is building up, and I finally seem to have some time to do some things.

One major decision standing in my way though. I don't necessarily want her to look new, but I want to be comfortable driving a few hundred miles to enjoy the great outdoors.

I know the easiest way to upgrade the suspension is to replace the springs and shocks with longer, more flexy options. But that being said, still requires cutting and welding/bracing. Would a 3 link system in the front remove any road worthiness?
Seems as though I could get a much better ride out of some air shocks or coilovers.

I wouldn't dare post this question on any other forum for fear of being run off, but I happen to think  I may get a little better help from some friendlier people over here.