Author Topic: 79 Hilux repair/rebuild  (Read 4617 times)

ElRob

• View Profile
79 Hilux repair/rebuild
« on: April 04, 2014, 03:16:06 PM »
Well, it's official.
Today I purchased a 79 Hilux.
Ended up getting a pretty sweet deal and the guy also threw in some brand new 5.29s and install kits from Yukon.
No complaints there.
No a little backstory on the truck. (Since everyone likes a story)
The truck was originally from Oklahoma and purchased by a man in south Mississippi for his grandson. Due to the timeline I out together, this happened around 2008. The PO drove the truck until he went to college 4 years ago and then the truck sat. It was used sparingly throughout the time and I believe at one point it sat unmoved for at least 2 years.
Somewhere around 2 years ago, the PO decided he was going to "fix up the truck. It had developed some cab floor rust as well as front fender and various spots around the cab.
The motor became seized at some point as well during this time.
According to the PO, and the receipts, he spent in excess of 4k on the trucks running gear and body mounts. In my opinion, he was extremely ripped off. (For 4k, this truck should look much better.)
These expenses included:
New crate 20r from advance auto.
Ac removed
Weber carb
Long tube header and glass pack
Crane electronic ignition
Electric fan conversion
Body mount bushings replaced
Sway bar bushings
New shocks
Tie rod ends
Rebuilt l43 from marlin
Some cab floor work on the passenger side.

So as you can see, according to those aforementioned things, the truck should be in pretty good shape.
And for what I paid for it, I got a really good deal.

The PO was tired of dealing with it, plus he is in college and cash never hurts.

Now a few pictures. (The only reason you've even read this far)

The truck is not running smoothly, and I have my doubts ab the l43 ever being rebuilt.
Initial plans are to tune the carb/clean up the engine bay.
Install exhaust.
Replace the l43 with an l52 or possibly w56.
Repair cab floor.
Replace door lock cylinders.
Replace steering column switches and mechanics.

One of the cool things ab this truck is that it has factory power steering, and an even more rare option of a factory cb. It was also originally an ac equipped truck, and that may become a long term goal to get working again.
Hopefully I'll have the necessities corrected so you guys will see this thing on the trails soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 79 Hilux repair/rebuild
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 05:41:23 PM »
Ditch the 20R. Quickly. You have a problem child in your hands.

How about photos of the rust repair?

And... long bed. Good find!

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 08:31:15 PM »
I guess I could ditch the 20r. But it was just put in the truck and it has a warranty. So it might end up staying until it proves to be more trouble than it's worth.
I'll post rust repair pics tomorrow.

The bed is in great shape! Missing the tailgate. And a few very small holes by the rear wheel well.

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 11:08:42 PM »
I forever hate the R series engines. Under powered, figity, and annoyingly loud.

People say they are reliable..  they are until you modify. Once you modify.... it all goes down hill.

I am changing from a header to a factory  manifold. I sold my Weber after I had it rejetted, rebuilt, and professionally tuned. Fuel pressure was either to high or to low, but to buy a regulator that precise was in the 3$$ range! Sold Weber for 150.00 and have loved every bit since EFI. Because it runs!

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 07:27:15 AM »
But don't let me ruin your build. If you can tune it to run properly then you have a screaming little motor.

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 01:04:22 PM »
Couldn't agree more. Ideally I would swap to an efi motor. But if it's running right I won't mess with it.

And for your delight, some cab floor rust pics. I knew the cab floor would have to be replaced to some extent. Fortunately the mounts are not rusted, only the sheet metal on the floor. Not sure if the PO did this, but spraying Berliner over rust does not stop it.
Enjoy.

The passenger side has been fiberglassed over and seems to be in decent enough shape. I'll start on that side tomorrow.

The bed is in terrific shape while the front fenders will be getting replaced or repaired.

Original paint color is the orange/red single stage. Not sure if I'll go back to that or not.

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 03:03:26 PM »
I have that one I sent you a photo of
 It's yours if you come get it.

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 09:26:43 AM »
Little update.
Worked on the carb some and cleaned up some loose vacuum lines.
Decided to put some sea foam in the tank to clean things up and ended up going through two fuel filters.
That was on Sunday. Last night I went to go fire it up and couldn't get it to start. Fuel filter wasn't letting any fuel through. Removed the fuel filter to see if the pump was working and barely got a dribble.
Looks like that seafoam broke down some nastiness in the tank and clogged something up.
So this weekend I'll be taking off the bed and dropping the tank to clean flush the lines.
Any recommendations for cleaning the tank?

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 09:42:38 AM »
You can pull the sending unit/everything and get in their with some high pressure water, but be sure to dry it out quickly! And if the tank is bad... Toyota discontinued it a long time ago. I would recommend swapping in a.newer model 18 gallon, from an 84. With the.bed off it should be a breeze!

El Robot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 11:14:10 AM »
What a great find! I look forward to following this thread!
"Many Bothans died to bring us this information"

2004 Xterra. It's got mods.

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 09:58:52 AM »
Minor update.
Ordered a bunch of desmog stuff from lce.

I know I know, why in earth would you be putting money into a 20r? Well, the motor is essentially new, and even with the vacuum leaks it has. Ran fine on the highway at 65. No speed demon, but better than I expected. Plus, I do not have the time or place to swap engines right now. But I can see a 3rz in my future.

Back on topic.
Pulled the intake, cleaned, then degasketized.
Found two broken bolts in the manifold. Drilled them out and still need to tap them.

Started cleaning up the carb adapter plates. Got those nice and clean and all the paint removed.

Whenever I removed the plate that holds goes to the pcv valve, one of the bolts was stripped off and it looks like the PO just tried to deal it with rtv. I'm fairly positive this was the main vacuum leak.

Also, a stud was missing from a corner of the carb, and a bolt (that was too short) was used. This also must have been letting air in.

I'm fairly confident after everything goes back on it will run much better.

Some new parts for the dash came in as well.
Ignition lock cylinder with matching door locks!
Steering column top and bottom cover.
Steering column controls.

It's amazing how much better the interior looks with these in place.

In other news, I desperately want to put a soft topper on the bed when everything is said and done.

El Robot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 01:43:15 PM »
A soft topper would be quite snazzy I think.
"Many Bothans died to bring us this information"

2004 Xterra. It's got mods.

jeeps4fun

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 03:23:00 PM »
What's the Canvas topper that has roll up sides?  Always like those

ElRob

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 12:54:44 PM »
She is up and running like a champ! New gaskets and carb tuning were the trick. Even with a header and glasspack she runs so smooooooooooth. 8)
 Exhaust will be reworked for sure.

Next up are the brakes. Rotors seem to be pricey for a 79, and most people end up swapping later model sfa so that the swap to tacoma rotors and calipers is easy. This might be something im interested in.

I also need to replace all the wheel studs as ive broken several. Any recommendations?
After wheel studs and some new tail lights/blinkers, Ill be driving her around town on the weekends.

So, not anything major to report, but as long as progress is being made Im happy.
Maybe she will be road worthy enough for the OOR this fall!

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 09:46:46 PM »

Next up are the brakes. Rotors seem to be pricey for a 79, and most people end up swapping later model sfa so that the swap to tacoma rotors and calipers is easy. This might be something im interested in.

I don't know what you mean by this? To put Tacoma rotors and calipers on would require a mounting kit and some.mill work. I recommend the upgrade to Fj40 rotors, 4runner v6 calipers, and a newer master/break booster.

anything