Author Topic: Homemade Rock Sliders  (Read 4986 times)

arveetek

• View Profile
Homemade Rock Sliders
« on: February 18, 2014, 08:15:29 PM »
I've been planning to make some rock sliders / rocker guards for quite some time.  Hopefully I can actually pull this off pretty soon now!

I plan to take this pile of somewhat rusty steel:

and turn it into functional body armor.  That's 2x4 steel tubing, 3/16" thick.  A bit overkill, I know.  But I already have it on hand.  I would like to add some tubular outriggers when I'm done as well.

Casey
1995 Chevy Tahoe 2 door, 6.5L turbo diesel, 4L80E auto, NV241, 3.42's, Eaton ADL in rear, 285/75R16 BFG TA K02's on Toyota steelies, Roadmaster Active Suspension in rear, 1" crank in front, Westin brush guard

Forward

• View Profile
    • Christian Crawlers 4x4 club
Re: Homemade Rock Sliders
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 08:49:24 PM »
You can do it!!!!!
I didn't say it was your fault.......I said I was blaming you.

arveetek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 09:49:32 PM »
1995 Chevy Tahoe 2 door, 6.5L turbo diesel, 4L80E auto, NV241, 3.42's, Eaton ADL in rear, 285/75R16 BFG TA K02's on Toyota steelies, Roadmaster Active Suspension in rear, 1" crank in front, Westin brush guard

faredo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 08:56:34 AM »
this looks like it will be fun, keep us posted

arveetek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 02:24:48 PM »

Making progress:

I've almost finished the first one.  Need to make some end caps for the tubes, and build some gussets to where they'll attach to the frame.  Then I need to finish stripping them of rust so I can paint, and then weld them on!

Casey
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 02:28:16 PM by arveetek »

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 09:07:59 PM »
Only two legs?

Forward

• View Profile
    • Christian Crawlers 4x4 club
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 08:38:03 AM »

I've almost finished the first one.  Need to make some end caps for the tubes, and build some gussets to where they'll attach to the frame. Then I need to finish stripping them of rust so I can paint, and then weld them on!

Casey
[/quote]
The fastest way I have found to strip metal is with muriatic acid. It is used in swimming pools and can be fond at wal mart for less than $5 a gal. I put it in a pump up sprayer (Plastic only) and spray it down. In about 3 min. it is clean and etched. The Etching will help hold the primer and paint. I use water to get the acid off, but keep in mind it will start to rust right then so dry it good and wipe it with a cloth or schbrite pad to remove any light surfase rust. This is much cheeper and faster than sanding. DO NOT BREATHE THE FUMES FROM THE ACID. USE IN A WELL VENTALTED SPACE AND DO NOT GET IT ON YOU. IT WILL BURN YOUR SKIN AS SOON AS IT GETS ON YOU. HAVE A SHOWER CLOSE BY. Just be careful and stay up wind you will be fine.
I didn't say it was your fault.......I said I was blaming you.

arveetek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 04:20:23 PM »
Only two legs?

Yep.  Due to the frame design under the body, there are only two crossmembers close by, which will be the strongest areas to attach to.  There are body mounts and other items prohibiting from putting a third one towards the rear.  Since I'm using 2 x 4 square tubing with gussets, I believe there to be just as much surface area to attach the sliders to the frame as if I were using more legs of smaller diameter.

That's just my good 'ol boy summation anyway.

Casey

arveetek

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 04:22:15 PM »

The fastest way I have found to strip metal is with muriatic acid.....

I've got a 4" angle grinder with a wire brush attachment.  It seems to be stripping them pretty quickly and easily.  Agreed that sanding would take a long time, and gum up a lot of sandpaper too.

Thanks for the tip!

Casey

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 11:03:43 PM »
Only two legs?

Yep.  Due to the frame design under the body, there are only two crossmembers close by, which will be the strongest areas to attach to.  There are body mounts and other items prohibiting from putting a third one towards the rear.  Since I'm using 2 x 4 square tubing with gussets, I believe there to be just as much surface area to attach the sliders to the frame as if I were using more legs of smaller diameter.

That's just my good 'ol boy summation anyway.

Casey

I think your summation may be pushing it close strength wise. Example... I have the forward most leg on the taco right where the fender/door meet. It is one of 4. It is 2" DOM tubing with a 4x4 .25" frame plate backing it. It also has a .25" thick 2"tall 4" long triangle brace. I came down on it with enough force to tweak the slider up into the body. You have an additional 2' of leverage on your front and a bigger vehicle. Its not really the legs that worry me, its the distance from each end to the legs.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 11:05:19 PM by Jayston »

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 11:06:06 PM »
I do like the sleeper look they'll have though!

arveetek

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 12:03:09 PM »
Thanks for the advice!  I'm still in the design stage, so nothing is irreversible at this point.  In fact, I'm not happy with the gussets I made, so I'm going to scrap them and start over.

I also had someone share this link with me on how to calculate the amount of deflection the sliders will take when supporting the vehicle's weight:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjWArgfoycgwdEJfS1ViQ0o4LXFsRnRoVWQ1dENqNVE&usp=sharing#gid=0

I'll have to do some more figuring...

Casey

arveetek

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 02:38:11 PM »
Jayston,

Are your sliders welded or bolted on to your frame?

Casey

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 03:12:16 PM »
I burned them in. 7/8 are welded four sides, 1 is welded on the two vertical sides as it was by the fuel tank.

arveetek

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 08:36:35 PM »
Getting closer!

Almost ready to mount.  I was able to dig up some 1.75" HREW tubing to add a couple of more support legs.

Casey

anything