Author Topic: New Year's in Big Bend  (Read 26400 times)

Nigel Caffiene

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: New Year's in Big Bend
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2013, 04:50:00 PM »
Cool, congratulations Kole. Is it strong enough for a roof rack? Yeah, I do not like the ones that mate to the cab of the truck.

Kole

• Route Accesible
  • OOR14 Team: Mud Sweat and Beers
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2013, 04:54:46 PM »
Cool, congratulations Kole. Is it strong enough for a roof rack? Yeah, I do not like the ones that mate to the cab of the truck.

Ya it should be strong enough. Eventually I'll put a rack up top but not for anything too heavy. Most weight would be a few bikes or kyaks. Maybe a few fuel cans If I want to keep them out of the "living space"
-Kole
2003 Tacoma
OOR14 Team: Mud Sweat and Beers

Kole

• Route Accesible
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2013, 05:08:12 PM »
Deciding on building a sleeping platform just moved me up into a totally different level of "Glamping" possibilities. I spend the weekend reading about all this dual battery, hot water, shower, microwave, solar panel, gold plated toilet seat nonsense on Expo. Very impressive stuff but I have to strike my own balance and I always resort to Function>Form. I'm a fan of tetris so this should be fun.
-Kole
2003 Tacoma

nmatcek

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2013, 05:13:09 PM »
Deciding on building a sleeping platform just moved me up into a totally different level of "Glamping" possibilities. I spend the weekend reading about all this dual battery, hot water, shower, microwave, solar panel, gold plated toilet seat nonsense on Expo. Very impressive stuff but I have to strike my own balance and I always resort to Function>Form. I'm a fan of tetris so this should be fun.
Congrats on the camper. I just got one myself. I had to forego my rtt setup since we have recently been blessed with a son. Just needed more space. I however will not be building a sleeping platform since I have a 5' bed. It is nice to be able to secure all of my gear when we leave the truck to go hike and whatnot. I plan on keeping the tent and hopefully getting a trailer to mount it on. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with when we get out to Big Bend country.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

2008 Chevy Colorado

foo.c

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2013, 08:52:27 PM »
Anyone bringing a dog? The rules seem a little ridiculous.

I'm not sure what itinerary is so I'm not sure if I would miss out on a bunch of cool outings if I bring her.

The whole family is excited though. The wife is stocking up on warm clothes this time. Haha. 

Jayston

• Follow Me,
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2013, 10:27:52 PM »
Anyone bringing a dog? The rules seem a little ridiculous.

I'm not saying they aren't a little over the top, but they are there for a reason. Most rangers will ignore a dog unless there is a legitimate reason for them to not be there. Such as disease transfer, dig sites, or in some instances religion.

Respect them or not, your choice.

foo.c

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2013, 11:13:42 PM »
I'm sure people abused whatever the more lenient rules were so they had to go drastic.

I don't want to hurt the park in any way, but they make it sound like the park will self destruct if a dog is off the leash or off the road. 

agentsteg

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2013, 11:23:27 PM »
There were a couple of dogs last time and things were fine.  We didn't have any trouble.  I am planning on bringing mine.  He will be on leash a lot though as he can be a bit unpredictable.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Nigel Caffiene

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2013, 11:02:12 AM »
Dogs are fine, like children, it depends on how well they behave off a lease.  O:-) If you are bringing a bloodhound I would advise keeping it on a leash. There are big cats out there that will prey upon a dog. Some do suggest booties for the dogs becuase the igneous rock will tear of their paws. You will have to pack out what the dog does leave behind.

The temps will vary. The coldest it got on us is 33 degrees F one night at Terlingua Abjao near Santa Elena Canyon. Usually the daytime temperatures we around a low to mid 70s. Speaking of weather, with all the moisture that area has had lately it should be fairly lush for a desert. Which means be prepared for the possibility of tight arroyos in regards to pin striping.

For the national park I recommend these various spots:

The hot spring on the Rio Grande.
The Boquillas Canyon.
The Santa Elena Canyon.
Definitely, absolutely Black Gap Road!
The old quicksilver mine that has bats and an amazing view of the surrounding area.
Possibly the crossing over to Mexico. I forgot it's name at the moment.

At the State Park Ranch:

The Sauceda Ranger Station is 27 miles of dirt road. (This is the only way in, or out, of the interior of the park. At the station there are hot shower facilities.)
Guale 2 campsite for two days (hopefully celebrate New Year's here).
Crawford-Smith Ranch homestead.
Madrid Falls, Texas' second tallest waterfall (I haven't seen it personally but want to.)
Road to Nowhere.

If there is other areas yall would like to explore post up and let us start planning.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 11:44:21 AM by Nigel Caffiene »

Kole

• Route Accesible
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2013, 11:11:26 AM »
I know very little of the area as of yet. Therefore that all sounds great to me  ;D
-Kole
2003 Tacoma

nmatcek

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2013, 11:27:43 AM »
Pine canyon trail in the nat park might make a nice little hike. There is a lush area at the bottom of a waterfall at the end of the trail. Boquillas canyon is very impressive but the only thing it has that santa elena doesn't is the singing Mexican with the tip jar conveniently located on the U.S. side of the Rio Grande. Over spring break we saw Border Patrol chase off two "entrepreneurs" coming across to check on their tip jars. :)  I definitely like the mariscal quicksilver mine.

2008 Chevy Colorado

Nigel Caffiene

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2013, 11:48:37 AM »
Pine Canyon Trail, sure. I will add that to my list.

nmatcek

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2013, 11:59:19 AM »
Pine Canyon Trail, sure. I will add that to my list.
That would be cool. It's been at least 10 years since I've hiked that one.

2008 Chevy Colorado

agentsteg

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2013, 12:03:44 PM »
Sounds like we are hitting all my favorites from the last trip.  I am looking forward to exploring more of the state park and anywhere we didn't go last time in the national park would be cool.

nmatcek

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2013, 12:05:45 PM »
Sounds like we are hitting all my favorites from the last trip.  I am looking forward to exploring more of the state park and anywhere we didn't go last time in the national park would be cool.
Yes my experience in the state park is limited to what we saw last time. Curious to see what else it has to offer.

2008 Chevy Colorado

anything